what about honeycomb?
kaug23
I'm still waiting for gb to update and everyone is talking about ics next. Is there a reason no one is using honeycomb? I have it on my tablet and know a few people who have rooted their sprint phones and use it. Is it just not as good for phones or is there some other reason?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: what about honeycomb?
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

Honeycomb is meant for tablets. That is why Ice Cream Sandwich is out, it merges the best of Honeycomb and Gingerbread and allows this OS to run on Tablets and Phones, and I've heard that the x86 will now be able to run Android 4.0.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

Honeycomb is meant for tablets. That is why Ice Cream Sandwich is out, it merges the best of Honeycomb and Gingerbread and allows this OS to run on Tablets and Phones, and I've heard that the x86 will now be able to run Android 4.0.

0 Likes
kaug23
That makes sense. I figured there had to be a reason. It's quite popular for rooted g tablets, but then a crayon and paper are better than the stock rom on a g tablet.
0 Likes
strike01

sorry but what is x86?

0 Likes
majael
Contributor - Level 1

strike01 wrote:

sorry but what is x86?

Generic reference to the Intel processor set and similar that power most desktops and laptops running Windows.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

Developer Chih-Wei Huang has been porting Android open source releases to x86 platforms for ages, and he’s hot on the heels of Android devs who have already released Ice Cream Sandwich ports for phones other than the Galaxy Nexus. His port for x86 tablets and laptops — and heck, even desktops — is now ready for download.

It’s still very much a work in progress, and it’s important to note that this is not an official Google release. It doesn’t have anything to do with Intel, either, despite there being some confusion about the chipmaker’s statements that it would be optimizing certain bits of Android 4.0 code to run on its own processors. This is yet another release from the www.android-x86.org, and it’s a community project.

Right now, the x86 Android 4.0 port works best on the AMD Brazos platform — like what you’ll get in the Acer Iconia Tab W500. Hardware support is already fairly robust, with everything from Wi-Fi to cameras and touchscreen input to Ethernet working. OpenGL ES hardware acceleration is supported for the Brazos’ Radeon GPU and Intel GMA as well.

The group has posted an ISO file that you can use to burn a LiveCD, and you might be able to convert that to a live USB drive (or SD Card) using a tool like Fedora’s LiveUSB creator on Windows or Linux. Mixed success has been reported trying to mount the file and boot it under VirtualBox, though that’s certainly worth a try if you’re curious and don’t have any blank CDs or a spare flash drive.

Source: Geek.com : Author: Lee Mathews

0 Likes
strike01

ok so 32-bit processors,thats what i figured but never heard it with andriod.

0 Likes