what exactly is DROID?
potove
Enthusiast - Level 3

what exactly is DROID?

I used to think that DROID was only made by Motorola.... or Verizon... and now even Samsung has a DROID phone.

Not all Android phones on Verizon are called Droids... so what makea a Droid phone a Droid?

By the way, is the Samsung Droid Charge considered a part of Samsung Galaxy family of phones?

Yes, I'm now confused. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Re: what exactly is DROID?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Read post #4 of this thread.
http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-2-by-Motorola/Droid-2-a-good-phone/m-p/434210/highlight/true#M3657

List of DROID branded phones.
Motorola Droid
HTC Droid Eris
HTC Droid Incredible
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid R2D2
Motorola Droid 2 Global
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Samsung Droid Charge
Motorola Droid X2

There have also been some bluetooth accessories that are DROID branded.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
potove
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ann154 wrote:
Read post #4 of this thread.
http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-2-by-Motorola/Droid-2-a-good-phone/m-p/434210/highlight/true#M3657

List of DROID branded phones.
Motorola Droid
HTC Droid Eris
HTC Droid Incredible
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid R2D2
Motorola Droid 2 Global
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Samsung Droid Charge
Motorola Droid X2

There have also been some bluetooth accessories that are DROID branded.

Thanks!   I'm still not clear on what it takes for a phone to be called a DROID..... does it have exclusive features that Verizon put on it?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
That would be a question for Verizon Wireless marketing team or their development team.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Potov ask the question were does droid name come from

Motorola Droid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <<<Click here an it'll tell you a little more of what your looking for :smileyvery-happy:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Droid
The brand name Droid is a trademark of Lucasfilm licensed to Verizon Wireless. ... mentioning the name of the Droid in the final frame, reading "Droid Does". ... two Android-based handsets on the market by year-end with more to come in 2010. ... Flurry also estimated that 1.05 million Motorola Droids were sold in ...

Hope this help Potov

See how easy that was. Thank you very much

0 Likes
B33
Legend

name correction  Potove :  sorry Potove let me know if i found the answer you was looking for. :manvery-happy:

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

potove-

Thank you for visiting the Verizon Community!

I would be happy to answer your question. What  exactly is DROID?

Android or DROID is the operating system that is used to run the phone.Just like there is Palm OS, Blackberry OS and Windows OS, I hope the information below will help you.

What's the difference?

FeaturesAndroidPalm Pre®BlackBerry®iPhone®
OSOpen system that can be shaped and formed any way. It is customizable and scalable.Uses a more blocked system, but functionality is high and can be tweaked. Uniform among carriers and devices.Multitasking is part of the OS and the overall interface is very user-friendly.Starting with iOS 4, on 3rd-generation and newer iOS devices, multitasking is supported.
Instant Email (Push Email)Available on downloadable Exchange server. POP and IMAP mail may be checked every few minutes.Available on downloadable Exchange server. POP and IMAP mail may be checked every few minutesComplete push for all email accountsAvailable on downloadable Exchange server. POP and IMAP mail may be checked every few minutes.
ApplicationsMost apps are free and there are many to choose from. Some apps have a cost associated with them.Apps geared toward performance and communication, not customizing.Apps geared toward games, social networking, and personal productivity. Some apps take advantage of proven BlackBerry push technology.The current leader in apps due to the quantity and variety of apps available.

Innovation, User Experience & Fun
  • Android Market is the doorway to games, apps and tools.
  • New apps are added all the time.
  • Entertainment and information is just a touch away.
Maximum Mobile Experience
  • Lots of out-of-the-box Google® features.
  • You can Pan, Scan, and Zoom.
  • Full HTML web browsing.
  • Use widgets, shortcuts, and bookmarks to get to the web faster.
Customization
  • Thousands of apps and hundreds of widgets to download directly to the device.
  • No two devices, just like PC desktops, are the same.
Connected User Experience
  • The most used apps right on the device's home screen.
  • Pulls everything used the most forward
  • Run several apps at the same time and toggle between them. 
0 Likes
TedKord
Contributor - Level 1

You see, this is why people don't take VZW reps seriously. DROID and Android are not the same, or every Android phone would be a Droid. They're not. Android is the operating system, DROID is a branding used by verizon on certain phones, the word itself licensed from Lucasfilm LTD. 

So, for instance, the Samsung Charge is a DROID. The HTC Thunderbolt isn't. The reasons some phones are while others aren't isn't really clear. Verizon hasn't publicly given any criteria. It can be any manufacturer (Motorola, Samsung, HTC, etc...). Well, except Apple, I guess.

0 Likes