whats wrong with the droid?
junuh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I headed over to a verizon store here in ontario california. the reason i went was because i have an upgrade available for my line i was planning on getting the storm 2 but after hearing all kinds of good reviews about the droid i was convinced that it would be the phone to get. WRONG!!!!!! When i got there an employee aproached me and asked me if i needed help i told him i wanted to upgrade my line and i wanted a droid for the upgrade. His face just turn to me as if i was **bleep** or something he went on and on and on for 30 minutes about how i would be making a mistake and how it is the dumbest phone out there. After he finished telling me abou it he pointed out the storm 2 and another 30 minutes past but he sadi that the storm 2 was a better phone than the droid. After spending an hour i left the store without a droid or storm 2 im more confused than before. So can someone please help and tell me if verizon employees get more  comission for selling black berrys or is there something really wrong with the droid? 

0 Likes
Re: whats wrong with the droid?
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

The first question you need to ask yourself - "What do I want the device to do?".
I use the Droid more for a PDA than a phone. I wanted the 3G, GPS and WiFi. I have a WiFi network at home and one at work and the Droid connects with no problem (Ok it sometimes loses the signal when the screen goes blank).
My applications so far are:
Astro File Manager
BatteryLife - widget to turn various options on/off - wifi, gps, sync
Calculator - Scientific
DockRunner - Multimedia display without the multimedia dock
Documents to Go Full Version - Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDF display/create/edit
Google Sky Map
Home++ - replacement for home screen
Amazon
Bank of America Mobile Banking
Pandora - custom radio stations
Smart Shopping List Pro - I can no longer do the food shopping without this app!
TasKiller
To Do List
Ultra Notes
Ultrachron - stop watch and count-down timer
WeatherBug Elite
Where

I have given the phone a great deal of thought in the 30 days I have had it even to the point of thinking of returning it (not so much because of the Droid but because of the rumors about the so-called all-mighty Passion phone). After getting used to the physical keyboard and starting to use the various apps as a necessity, it became obvious that this is one fine device. My Droid has become much more than a play toy - I have it with me all the time. I have my calendar on Google. The Droid is a little rough around the edges and some documented issues. An Android upgrade is due out about 12/11 that I suspect will solve some issues. With Verizon now onboard with Android, I would expect solutions to issues to come very quickly. So you see that for me this device is now part of my everyday experience. It actually fits in my shirt pocket (a little heavy but acceptable) so that it is always available (I am not one for carrying the phone on a belt). I expect to add more apps as I find a need for them but right now this is one very happy camper. You also have one great community of people supporting Android devices. By the way, the screen alone is almost worth the price of admission. It is gorgeous. Put it next to an iPhone as I have (with one of my iPhone junkies) and there is no comparison. In fact put it next to any phone out there - no contest.  Even the reputed Passion will not have quite the same resolution.  I decided to keep the Droid and I will worry about the Passion if and when it ever shows up on Verizon.  It would have to be one incredible device for me to leave the Droid - maybe if the Passion fixed my breakfast in the morning I might switch - but only if it also did the dishes afterwards.

0 Likes
aristo1963

The employee you dealt with might just have a bias against Android or the Droid(or a love of all things BB)

I think MRL got it right,the more I use the Droid the more I love it.

Have some people had problems? Honestly yes I think they have,but I can also honestly say I havent had any at all.

You have a 30 day trial time to see if the phone is for you,I suggest getting it and taking it for a test drive.

As fo r opinions ,well we all know how those are 😆

0 Likes
tonloc3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had my Droid since day 1 and love it.   I work with individuals who got the storm 2 and hate that they did.  The storm does not have near the apps (that they have found), nor the capabilities.   The camera works great since the focus issue was resolved.  Love the free GPS.  Love the latitude program.  The barcode scanner and other apps are cool as well.  Video quality is great.  Get the droid.  You wont be disappointed.  

0 Likes
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

I was the one who started a topic "30 days almost up - to keep or not to keep - that is the question". Depending on how Verizon calculates 30 days - I purchased the Droid day 1 on 11/6 from BestBuy - I might actually be able to return the Droid tomorrow 12/6 since November has 30 days. Well - I AM KEEPING THE DROID!

I really worked the Droid for 30 days seeing how long the novelty would last and if I would really use it to its full potential. All this while the Passion rumors were flying - am I making a mistake getting the Droid with the Passion coming any day? Would I be sorry having the Droid? Would the Passion be so superior as to render the Droid an also-ran? I DO NOT THINK SO!

The Droid has become indispensable. OK there are rough edges - they will be addressed I am sure of that. As was previously said, you have 30 days to work with the phone - really we need to call it a device since the phone aspect in many cases is secondary.

I have been around for awhile - I grew up with a velociraptor as a pet! I go back to the original cellular phones. I have owned almost every conceivable phone and phone operating system. My son has an iPhone (an Apple junkie). The Droid may not be perfect (when will developers write an app so that the Droid will fix my breakfast) but I really believe that for those who want a really cool and indispensable device you cannot go wrong with the Droid.  Try it! You'll like it, correction you'll love it!  Remember that Google is behind Android. I think Google knows a thing or two about making something work!

Disclaimer - I am not now nor have I ever been a Verizon employee nor do I receive any commission from Verizon for recommending the Droid.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

junuh wrote:

I headed over to a verizon store here in ontario california. the reason i went was because i have an upgrade available for my line i was planning on getting the storm 2 but after hearing all kinds of good reviews about the droid i was convinced that it would be the phone to get. WRONG!!!!!! When i got there an employee aproached me and asked me if i needed help i told him i wanted to upgrade my line and i wanted a droid for the upgrade. His face just turn to me as if i was **bleep** or something he went on and on and on for 30 minutes about how i would be making a mistake and how it is the dumbest phone out there. After he finished telling me abou it he pointed out the storm 2 and another 30 minutes past but he sadi that the storm 2 was a better phone than the droid. After spending an hour i left the store without a droid or storm 2 im more confused than before. So can someone please help and tell me if verizon employees get more  comission for selling black berrys or is there something really wrong with the droid? 

i know a guy who use to work for best buy. and with all the stories he told me, one sticks with me.  from time to time there would be contests for certain types of phones. these contests only benefit the rep because the more they sale of a certain product, say for instance the Storm 2, they would receive prizes that included any phone of their choice, for free, or other large prizes.

it could be that you were the victim of one of these contests.  but do take time to decide which phone is for you.  i think the last thing we need is someone who had the opportunity, and i am not solely referring to you, evaluate what they truly need, pick the wrong phone, and then complain post after post about what a mistake they made.

good luck

edit: and i understand you said Verizon, but if it could happen here, it could happen anywhere

0 Likes