4.4 and Ford SYNC issues
portershm

Anyone else having issues with their text messaging not working through their Ford SYNC after the 4.4 update?  Even after removing all devices and re-pairing my car still displays that messaging is unsupported to my device.  I did not have any issues with this when I was still on 4.2

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: 4.4 and Ford SYNC issues
DieselHHustler

I have the exact same issue.  I tried everything. 

0 Likes
Danno46

My Droid Maxx will not automatically sync with my 2011 Ford F150 anymore since the 4.4 update. I have to manually sync it.

0 Likes
thebank

Same problem.  This happened two versions ago as well.  I got around it by upgrading my phone.  Once the new OS hit, lost the ability to use MSG Notify through Ford Sync.  I too have checked online for fixes and none work.

0 Likes
RazrM-user1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a RAZRM, it failed upon receiving the KITKAT upgrade.  Motorola replaced my out of warranty phone with another RAZRM.  It failed as well.   I did an early upgrade at my Verizon (corporate) Store to the Droid MAXX.  It came with KITKAT.   The phone paired well with Ford Sync (2011 Mustang w/ Premium package) and works well with phone calls and phone book.... but will not give me the text messages that I was receiving with Jelly Bean (JB).  I will be contacting Motorola again tomorrow to find out whats up.  I have been to the Ford Sync My Ride Downloading an Update to Ford SYNC with a USB Drive | SYNC & SYNC with MyFord | Ford.com  and no luck, as my Ford software is current.  I have been to the Motorola website and it clearly shows that the Droid Maxx was tested (and I assume approved) in May, 2014.  The current version should be 12.15.10.obake_verizon.verizon.en.us for Verizon subscribers.

If I find anything different when talking to Motorola, I will report back.  If no further post from me, know that mine still is not working either.

0 Likes
RazrM-user1
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK... latest find using Motorola Droid Maxx, Ford Sync and KitKat version Android 4.4 and System Verison 16.6.3.obak-mass_verizon.Verison.en.US (this can be found under Settings/About phone.

Background:  Motorola and Verizon agreed that my RazrM was damaged by the latest version of KitKat.  I upgraded to the Motorola Droid Maxx and after the initial learning curve I have discovered how to have my test messages read to me while driving using the Ford Sync.

Motorola would not accept blame for the issue nor would Verizon so off to my dealership I go.  My Ford is a 2011 with Sync only (no navigation).  There is a dealer installed software "enhancement" (3.1.4) that the dealer says cost $93.00 to install.  (There is even a TSB -Technical Service Bulletin- that talks about phone issues), but if you raise enough stink you can get them to waive the charges.  I have a Ford ESP (Extended Service Plan) and I think that helped because this typically is paid for by Ford during the initial warranty.  Before this latest "Enhancement" when pairing my phone I would get the message Test Message Unsupported.  Now it shows Text message, that is all.

Now with the work around:

With the latest version of KitKat (4.4) there is an app named ASSIST.   This app, lets you make your phone go to sleep at the hours you specify, make it go silent during a calendar event meeting, etc, automatically.  There is also a setting named "Driving".  Bring up Driving under the ASSIST APP.  Click on the Talk To Me (Read text messages and tell me who is calling), then go to the top right of your screen where the 3 stacked blocks are, select Settings. You will see Activities, Places Important to Me, Notifications, Talk to Me, and Privacy (all underlined).

Under the Talk To Me, select Audio Troubleshooting (Having audio issues using Bluetooth?).  There are two selections.  Standard and Alternate audio channel.  Select Alternate audio channel (May address issues with readout in some in-car Bluetooth systems).  Now you will have your radio, USB, CD program interrupted and the Google voice will come on and announce who you have a text message from and give you the option not only to have it read to you, but also allow you to send a text message reply, where using the FORD Sync, your vehicle had to be stopped for you to reply with one of the pre-programed replies.

In Closing:

I cannot speak to situations where the dealer installed software enhancement 3.1.4 has not been installed but since mine has been upgraded I would have to say that this is a satisfactory work around until Ford or Motorola decided to send another update.   I have not found a Verizon in-store employee who has even seen this Audio Troubleshooting, Alternate audio channel option, much less even a Verizon Tier II tech support person.  I was even told by a Motorola Tier II support person that (using the conventional setup) it either works with your phone or it doesn't and was somewhat rude when he told me this.  This demonstrated that this is a little known option, but with 5 minutes of experimentation, it may work for you.

Please leave a comment and lets start some dialog about this because there are many FORD users that have lost the read text option with their Sync once KitKat was downloaded.  We are a community and need to work together.  Good luck with yours!

0 Likes
Mr_River_Rat

Have upgraded my MAXX HD with version 4.4.2. Now I am unable to find apps from my radio. The sync version is up to date with GEN1 - 3.2.2 on my 2013 f-150. I have checked with ford and they have walked me through some steps to remove the pairing and reset it and start again. Everything comes up but still unable to find apps like sync destinations, Pandora etc. As you listed in last reply, there was an app included in the kit kat version update. I have been unable to locate it and try those settings. Any help would be great.

0 Likes