4G/Wifi icons always gray after update?
markhendrix79

Since the latest update, the 4G and Wifi icons in the notification bar remain gray, even when connected to the internet.  Is there a way to turn them blue again?  Web services seem to be working fine, but if the icons are always gray, how will I know if I lose my internet connectivity?  Is this a known issue with the latest update (received 5/15/2014)?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4G/Wifi icons always gray after update?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's the white normal look of KitKat. The wifi connection is active. The phone is connected to a 4G LTE signal, but it isn't currently transmitting data across it.

You can see the normal gray in the partially filled signal bar symbol, the Bluetooth symbol and the 4G LTE symbol.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you sure the icons are gray and not white?

The KitKat design standard has the icons all white with the connectivity available in the notification pull down window view.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

markhendrix79

What looks gray to me might look white to you, but they were certainly blue yesterday before the most recent update. And I was definitely running KitKat prior to this morning as the latest update was only supposed to affect some roaming and unspecified bug fixes. It's not that big of a deal. It's just that prior to today, when those icons turned gray, it meant I had lost internet connectivity and I'm retraining my brain to not worry if they're gray.  But, now it appears there won't be a one quick glance way to know if I'm not online, and that's kind of a bummer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you post a screenshot of the icons?

0 Likes
markhendrix79

icons.jpg

Here you go. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's the white normal look of KitKat. The wifi connection is active. The phone is connected to a 4G LTE signal, but it isn't currently transmitting data across it.

You can see the normal gray in the partially filled signal bar symbol, the Bluetooth symbol and the 4G LTE symbol.

0 Likes
Farallon5

The new 4.4.2 indicator still shows connectivity, just as before, but now it stays white.  The thing that is missing now is the color that shows whether or not you are connected to the Google servers for push and syncing, that was all the color was for. The icon with color was supposed to be moved to Quick Settings, but I haven't seen it there on my Razr Maxx HD.  Has anyone else seen it in quick settings?

It still seems to by syncing ok, just no more colored indicator. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
mdcowby

Mine were Blue yesterday as well after update they now are white.....

0 Likes
SigZac
Enthusiast - Level 2

The latest versions of KitKat have no blue in the notifications. MotoX has not had it since we have had it, but my DROID MAXX did before the most recent update. My DROID RAZR MAXX HD will not take the update (keeps failing), so it still has the blue notifications  😛

0 Likes
droidrazrmaxxhd
Contributor - Level 1

Now, in quick settings its white unless there's a connectivity issue, then it'll be orange. But it will always be white in the notification bar.

0 Likes