Activating a Motorola Droid 2 for non-phone use and removing phone number
kmccracken1951
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Motorola Droid 2 that I stopped using years ago, transferring my contract and phone number to an iPhone. I recently did a full reset on the Droid 2. I want to be able to use it for its camera or maybe a music player. When I turn it on it ends up at the "Touch the android to begin" screen. When I try to activate/program it I get an automated message that the phone cannot be programmed and a customer service number to call from a different phone.

1. Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do – activate or program the phone to use it for non-phone purposes, without a contract?

2. Is there any way to do this other than by phone? Can it be done online, or in person at a Verizon store?

3. From my experience with other phones, I suspect the full reset did not remove my phone number from the SIM. Is there any way to do that now, in case I want to sell the phone for parts?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Activating a Motorola Droid 2 for non-phone use and removing phone number
kmccracken1951
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually found a YouTube video showing how to bypass the activation screen and skip the setup on a Droid 2. And it turns out the phone number was erased when I reset the phone. So my problem is solved. I'm now pretty sure this phone does not actually have a SIM card at all.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us about this via this platform. Our goal is always for you to be able to use your phone however you like. I am more than happy to help with this. Try powering off the phone and then remove the sim card. That way you won't get that error message. Let me know if this helps, I am standing by. Dia

0 Likes
kmccracken1951
Enthusiast - Level 2

Where is the SIM card on a Droid 2?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kmccracken1951 wrote:

Where is the SIM card on a Droid 2?

Is this the original Motorola Droid 2 from 2010 or so? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kmccracken1951
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's the Star Wars Special Edition R2D2 version, but yes, it's a 2010 Droid 2.

0 Likes
kmccracken1951
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually found a YouTube video showing how to bypass the activation screen and skip the setup on a Droid 2. And it turns out the phone number was erased when I reset the phone. So my problem is solved. I'm now pretty sure this phone does not actually have a SIM card at all.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kmccracken1951 wrote:

It's the Star Wars Special Edition R2D2 version, but yes, it's a 2010 Droid 2.

If I remember correctly, the Motorola DROID R2D2 model was a CDMA/3G EDVO only for the cellular network. It didn't have a SIM card slot. I don't remember if or how one could get past the activation screen after a factory reset without activating the phone on a line of service (phone number). Even if you could, you would still have the last phone number associated with the phone listed in the phone. The only time I know it wouldn't still have the old phone number is if the software was modified. Of which, such software modification can't be discussed on this particular forum.

Honestly, I'm not sure how useful the device would be as a non-phone. It is so old I'm not sure if it could connect to Google Play Store or much of anything else. Depending on what you want to use it for, you may need to do more than get it activated. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes