Android OS using up huge amounts of data !!!
Toyota4x4van
Contributor - Level 3

This is ridiculous.  Last month, my Razr M used over 1.5GB of data just for the Android OS !!!!!!!  It was the second largest user of my data, just behind Chrome.  This morning, my data has reset (new month), and in just 12 hours, the Android OS has already used 250MB, all background data.  That's 1/4 GB in 12 hours, with me doing nothing!  What is going on?!?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Android OS using up huge amounts of data !!!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Toyota4x4van, we want to know what's going on too! Try uninstalling any unwanted 3rd party applications on your device as some applications can affect the performance of your phone. Tap Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>tap the application>tap uninstall.

Are the remaining applications have the latest software updates too? If not, please connect to Wi-Fi to update the software for those applications and then power your device off/on to soft reset. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Toyota4x4van
Contributor - Level 3

I don't have any "unwanted" apps (other than some of Verizon's bloatware that cannot be removed).  All apps are up to date.  Can someone explain exactly what "Android OS" is, what it does, and how it can use that much data?  Android OS should NEVER be near the top of the list of data.

Oh, and I'd also like to know how an app that is set to "restrict background data" AND is completely disabled, can continue to use data every month?  My SmartActions app has been disabled for more than a year, AND is set to restrict background data, yet it uses small amounts of data every single month!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Sounds like you might have a kernel issue.  If cache clears and restarts don't work, you may need to factory reset.  Had to do that a few times on my Razr Maxx a few times back in the day.

0 Likes