Anyone else disliking the Google navigation post-ICS?
chipjonz
Contributor - Level 1

I am finding I really don't like the Google Navigation since I got the ICS update.  I used the navigation on Tuesday, and this was the first time I used it since the update.  I loved the navigation before, but now the navigation does not warn me ahead of time about upcoming turns, so sometimes I'm in the wrong lanes when it tells me to turn.  I have to quickly look at the screen to find out what is coming up next, so that is dangerous.  The voice is not loud enough, even with the volume on my phone all the way up, so I have to turn my radio in my car way down.  Is anyone else having these issues with the navigation after they got the ICS update?  Who should I write to so I can try to get the navigation updated?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Anyone else disliking the Google navigation post-ICS?
Duewester
Contributor - Level 2

Hi CHip,

Are you using the cardock?

I used the cardock for last week, prior to and after ICS. My biggest issue was with the need to turn down the use of VZ Navigator before starting the Google Navigator.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Have you gone into Settings>Applications>Maps and uninstalled updates?  This may resolve some or all of your issues.

0 Likes
chipjonz
Contributor - Level 1

21stnow--

I tried your advice to uninstall the update, but it didn't work. I got the message "Uninstall was unsuccessful."

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Likes
Duewester
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Chip,

Yea, you get the uninstall message but that refers to the entire app (you can't delete the VZN app). The uninstall does uninstall the update to VZN that creates the annoying message prior to letting you use the Google Navigator.

I'm the opposite of you, I don't use the voice normally so I tried it on the way home from work yesterday.

The voice was pretty laid back and I had to turn the radio down to hear her.  The distance from a turn was indeed limited. On long stretches it was 1/4 mile but when I went off track, it was pretty persistent trying to get me back on track. It's definitely not my old Tom-Tom where I got warnings about when to turn every few yards (the main reason I turn the voice off).

I suppose it's one of those "You get what you pay for " deals and this a free GPS on a PHONE. The VZN might have all the bells and whistles, I've never used it.

0 Likes
cagapeach

Am new to this forum but desperate to find solution for Razr Maxx ICS Google Navitation problems.  This is discussed on other forums but still no answer.  Here's my latest account of a guided trip:

Had a 2 hour trip from South Orange County, CA, to Palm Springs/La Quinta and back yesterday.  There were only 2 voices on the trip with us, the new voice and the hoarse-sounding ugly voice; the old GB voice never showed up. The ugly voice seemed to show up mostly when I did not take the turn suggested.  After I got back on track with "her" route, the new voice returned.

Instructions on the freeways were "mostly" ok, except I did not receive all warnings to know if the exit ramps were on the left or the right.  I had forgotten to turn off "avoid toll roads" and she directed me to take a left ramp to the toll road when, in fact, both north and south ramps were on the right. And that left-turn warning came immediately at the ramp which was 4 lanes to my right.

Turns on surface roads are the worst.  Without looking at the screen, I would have missed all turns. There were no warnings about upcomming turns or whether it was to left or right.

The new voice is easier on the ears and she can pronounce the Spanish names of roads in this area much better than the old GB lady, but her re-routing is way off from what the GB lady once offered.  The new lady tries to take me through neighborhoods and speed bumps to get back on her route, where the GB lady always recognized the fastest re-route was maybe only a block away. The ugly voice is just ugly . . .

I'd gladly go back to the old GB lady with all the miss-pronounceations but I'd get to my destination with plenty of warnings in advance for turns. Thank goodness I'm not going on a summer road trip anytime soon!

Do we know, yet, if this is Google or ICS or a Maxx problem?  Lordy, I hope this doesn't require a factory reset, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew this would fix the problem.  I'm waiting for someone to confirm that is the "fix."

0 Likes
florida123
Enthusiast - Level 3

The new navigation does not give you ample time to make a turn. The lady's voice comes up just a few yards before the turn where you are supposed to turn, and I was not driving fast either. ( Did they really put this phone through a soak test?)

21stNow
Master - Level 1

The lack of warning for turns is part of a recent Maps update, and isn't tied to the phone or ICS.  I have been using a Galaxy Nexus (GSM) since November and only had these problems with the lack of notification for turns within the last month.

0 Likes
cagapeach

Thanks 21stNow.  I thought it was Google's problem.  My Razr Maxx is new and I had no problems till ICS installed so I wasn't sure if it was Google Maps update or ICS.  There are many others having the same problems on other forums and it's been suggested by one member to do a factory reset.  If that's the solution, I'll do it, but will wait to see what others find out.

To bearone21, my trip to PS, BTW, was the first time I could "test" the navigation on a trip longer than 20 minutes. Where I really needed it was between daughter's home in Cathedral City and a friend's home that's now in La Quinta.  Google Navigation failed the test on all counts, especially on the surface streets.  It's impossible to follow it now unless looking at the screen.

0 Likes
florida123
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did a factory reset, and unfortunately it did not help.

0 Likes