Apps Crashing Randomly!
RochDoug

On a random basis, many of my apps are crashing - I tap their icon, the app opens, and then goes right back to the home screen. This is happening with built in apps (browser, texting, even the Google app store), as well as 3rd party apps from the app store. Most of the time, everything works fine, and then for no apparent reason, the problems begin. A few weeks ago, I did a factory reset followed by cleaning the cache partition. Things worked well for a day or two and then went back to the nonsense. The phone is not rooted and no other "unauthorized" mods have been done. Any tips?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Apps Crashing Randomly!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want you to be equipped with a top notch running device, RochDoug. How long has this issue been occurring? How much memory is currently available on the device? ( Settings > Storage ) Have you noticed that multiple apps are running in the background when this occurs? ( Settings > Applications > Manage Apps > Running )
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RochDoug

Things have gotten worse since I posted my original question. Yesterday morning, I powered off the phone and restarted it. It got as far as the "red eye" and stayed there for 3 hours while I was at work and too busy to do anything with it. I won't go into detail about how I got it to power off briefly, but when I did, it started up again and got stuck in the same place until the battery finally died 5 hours later.

I managed to get into the recovery menu at one point. I did a factory reset and cleaned the cache partition. Upon reboot - stuck again. Took it to the Verizon store, where they tried the same routine. No luck.

To answer your questions, there's always been at least half my available memory free, and unless I've just rebooted the phone, there are always at least two or three apps running. For instance, Google Maps thinks it needs to run all the time, even if I haven't used it in weeks.

At the moment, I'm trying to get the phone into safe mode, but I can't seem to do it. Oh well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I very much appreciate those details! May I ask if the device is still within warranty? It is it the original Razr Maxx or the HD ?
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RochDoug

It's the original Razr Maxx, purchased September 2012. Out of warranty, insurance cancelled after 2nd year. Never rooted (which is the next question you should ask). All apps came from the Google Play Store.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello RochDoug!

The original Razr Maxx sounds like it's been hanging in there. And, you have taken all the right steps. The only step I see you could try is: http://spr.ly/6586B1Jo2; Otherwise, it sounds like it's time for a new phone. They keep getting better and better.

LauraD_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RochDoug

Laura, your link is broken. For the benefit of others, please share the REAL link – not the disguised one.

My problem was solved by some serious geeks at this web site:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-razr/help/razr-maxx-stuck-red-eye-startup-loop-t3169549/post62132663#post62132663

Basically, it involved blowing out the brains of the phone and starting COMPLETELY from scratch, just as they do at the phone factory. This was something much deeper than the usual “factory reset”. My Razr Maxx is working beautifully again.

0 Likes