Battery being depleted by GTALK_CONN, but only at work
almeisam
Enthusiast - Level 2

After having turned of everything I could find that does synching, notifying and such, when I'm at work, the battery quickly drains.  Wakelock shows the main culprit to be GTALK_CONN, part of Google Services.  Battery will go from 80% when I get to work to 15% when it's time to go home 9 hours later.  Oddly, if I am at home, that same amount of time takes only 4% of the battery.  Both places have WiFi.  Problem seems to have started within the last few weeks.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Battery being depleted by GTALK_CONN, but only at work
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you updated your gtalk app to Hangouts?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
almeisam
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes.  And I am not signed onto hangouts.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you aren't intended to use it, have you considered disabling it instead?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It might be wanting you to sign into it to finish some setup.

0 Likes
almeisam
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do I disable it?  I have been into it, set all the settings off and then signed off.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go to your phone's main settings app. Scroll down to Apps > scroll over to all > scroll down to Hangouts > select it > uninstall any updates > disable button.

almeisam
Enthusiast - Level 2

Uninstalled it... it is now completely gone.  Now to see if that slows down the battery drain.  Thanks.

0 Likes
almeisam
Enthusiast - Level 2

Uninstalling Hangouts was a major fix to the battery drain.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad hear it helped. Please remember to mark the post that helped the most as the correct answer or a helpful answer so that other may benefit from your question.

0 Likes