Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Battery being depleted by GTALK_CONN, but only at work
almeisam

After having turned of everything I could find that does synching, notifying and such, when I'm at work, the battery quickly drains.  Wakelock shows the main culprit to be GTALK_CONN, part of Google Services.  Battery will go from 80% when I get to work to 15% when it's time to go home 9 hours later.  Oddly, if I am at home, that same amount of time takes only 4% of the battery.  Both places have WiFi.  Problem seems to have started within the last few weeks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Battery being depleted by GTALK_CONN, but only at work
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Have you updated your gtalk app to Hangouts?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
almeisam

Yes.  And I am not signed onto hangouts.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

If you aren't intended to use it, have you considered disabling it instead?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

It might be wanting you to sign into it to finish some setup.

0 Likes
almeisam

How do I disable it?  I have been into it, set all the settings off and then signed off.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Go to your phone's main settings app. Scroll down to Apps > scroll over to all > scroll down to Hangouts > select it > uninstall any updates > disable button.

almeisam

Uninstalled it... it is now completely gone.  Now to see if that slows down the battery drain.  Thanks.

0 Likes
almeisam

Uninstalling Hangouts was a major fix to the battery drain.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Glad hear it helped. Please remember to mark the post that helped the most as the correct answer or a helpful answer so that other may benefit from your question.

0 Likes