Beware of "Green Stripe" Verizon "Data" cable
NetNathan

I recently had a hard time getting USB to recognize my Verizon Droid RAZR. The Chinese DATA cable I bought developed a loose connection,

So I tried using a charger cable I purchased from Verizon that had a green stripe on it.

USB would not recognize my Droid RAZR when I plugged it into my PC, so I assumed I had plain charger cable.

I did not want to wait for another Chinese DATA cable to arrive so I went back to the Verizon store to get a "true" DATA cable.  When I first told the salesman I had a charger cable from Verizon he assured me it was also a DATA cable.

I told him my issue.  He said okay and went and got a box labeled DATA cable

So I bought the DATA cable and drove home, but when I opened I noticed it also had the green stripe on it and not the MOTO V-Cast tag.   Hmmmm.. I called the Verizon store and they assured me it WAS a DATA cable.  I plugged it in and my PC would still not recognize the device.

So I drove back to the store and they insisted it was a DATA cable  tried it on their own PC and low and behold their PC would not recognize it either.  They started to say maybe it was a phone issue.....I gave them the Chinese cable and they plugged it in and the USB recognized it on their own PC.

I told them it was their cable, so they went in the back and brought out a cable that was a TRUE DATA cable that had the V-CAST tag and a warranty.

Well guess what my Droid RAZR was recognized by USB on that cable.

They were nice enough to give me that cable. When I mentioned the DATA cable they were selling with the green stripe was not a working data cable and they should warn customers and let Verizon know about the issue...they kind of shrugged it off.

So remember this when you go to the store to get a DATA cable.  Insist on the TRUE DATA cable with the V-CAST tag and warranty.

Labels (2)
0 Likes