Calls going straight to voicemail
sadnat
Enthusiast - Level 2

All my calls, regardless of who they're from, go straight to voicemail.  I do not have any contacts that I have checked to send straight to voicemail.  Nor do I have any 3rd party calling apps.  The only thing that I've done recently is do the software upgrade to system version 21.44.8.en.US.

I turned the phone off and on, and had 1 contact call me and it works.  Is anyone else having this issue?  Is it ongoing?

Labels (2)
Re: Calls going straight to voicemail
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sadnat,

Making sure you are not missing any important calls is definitely important to every customer. It does concern me to hear you are having this problem with all receiving calls and we will get to the bottom of this for you. Once you turned the phone off and back on was that the only call that was able to get through to you? Let's try having you call *73 on your phone. You will hear a few beeps and then the call will disconnect. Try this and keep us posted on the outcome.

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
sadnat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I started the phone in Safe Mode - and calls wouldn't go through then, not sure if they're supposed to or not.

Also dialed *228 to make sure everything was updated.  I also changed my FitBit Charge to NOT notify me when a call was coming in.

Then did the *73 thing.

Calls seem to be going through now, so I'm not sure if the *73 worked or if the FitBit Charge was causing issues.

Will continue to monitor the situation and do a factory reset if this continues to occur.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm glad see that the calls are coming in again, sadnat! Yes, please do continue to monitor this matter, and let us know if you need help again. Take care & thanks!

DionM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
sadnat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well it started happening again!

A couple of days ago I changed the settings on my FitBit Charge to notify me when calls were coming in (ie: the caller ID shows up on the screen of the fitbit).  I've now changed the FitBit to NOT notify me about calls along with doing the *73 again.  Calls seem to be going through.

Another funny thing I noticed that other people might want to keep an eye on is that when I had my FitBit set to notify me about calls, I started receiving on screen Bluetooth connection errors from FitBit.  Those errors occurred at about the same time that the calls started going to VM.

So all in all, it seems like if you're having any of these issues, turn the notification feature off of your Fitbit and you should be good to go.  We'll see if this continues to work!

0 Likes
sadnat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well it's happening yet again.  I'm in the process of doing a factory reset.  This is getting a bit ridiculous....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused, sadnat! Have you had success after the reset?

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
Lasrnw

I am having the same problem that calls are going right to voice mail...what is the FitBIT??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lasrnw,

Thanks for reaching out to us. FitBit doesn't seem to be a native application. This is typically an app used along with the FitBit device which is used to track calories burned, steps taken a day, etc. Please uninstall it and do not use it to change your call settings. Please power off, remove/ reinsert SIM card and then power ON. Call should no longer be a problem.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
killodrum
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too, have been having issues with calls going straight to voice mail.  My scenario is this:

- Received Droid Turbo on a new Verizon line about 2 months ago.  Everything works great

- Received first system update, everything works great.

- Received second system update, the one with advanced calling, but did not enable advanced calling.  Everything works great

- About 5 days ago,  making no changes to the phone (I'm a minimal user, did not install or update any apps, do not use FitBit), I suddenly started receiving complains that after about 3 rings, my (receiving) calls would go straight to voice mail - no record of the call would show on my phone  

- Calls will continue to go straight to voice mail until you reboot the phone.  Prior to rebooting, I made sure the 'phone' system process (the actual android process) was running

- Reboot the phone, phone process is running, can receive calls.  After an undermined period of time, the issue will repeat itself and calls will go straight to voice mail after 3 rings. 

This very issue happened to my friend about 3 years ago with his S3, and Verizon was useless.  They did nothing to help him, other than constantly tell him to update his towers (that *221 option or whatever it is), and to remove apps and perform factory resets.  They convinced him it was a problem with the phone, and rather than seek out further (proper) assistance, he decided to get a new phone.  He purchased an HTC M8.  His issues with that new phone continue to persist. 

Now that I'm experiencing the same issue, I decided to take matters into my own hands.  Knowing Verizon will likely guide me in a terrible direction (wasting both their and my time), insisting I remove apps, perform factory resets, and even offer me a refurbished phone, I figured I'd try a few things first. 

A basic test?  I removed the Turbo from my line, and activated a different, known working phone that was activated on another line and didn't have this issue.  As soon as i moved it to the 'faulty' line, folks that would call me would get three rings, and straight to voice mail - no record of the call on my phone.  Moving the Turbo to the other line, resulted in the same, but in reverse.  It worked, and calls did not go to voice mail.  Swapping them back again did exactly what you would expect.  The Turbo was not receiving calls again. 

I have no control over my line, so I enabled Advanced Calling, and so far its been running fine for 2 days, with all calls going straight to the headset.  I'm not really sure how advanced calling works, but as far as i know it's a bit of a different technology so perhaps when I enabled it, it fixed whatever the problem was with the calls going straight to voice mail. Or maybe it didn't fix it at all, and I've just been lucky for a few days?  But at least it's a start; I'll report back if it stops working.   

Reading certain threads and talking with people, it seems as though this is a fairly common issue and Verizon doesn't offer much in the way of troubleshooting or looking into things from the back-end.  The device always seems to be quick to blame, when in some cases it doesn't appear to be a problem with the device at all.  The worst part is whenever they come on here to offer support, they always start their comments with 'we know how frustrating it can be to lose calls' or 'i too use a phone and i know how discouraging it can be to miss a text' - stop trying to empathize with us, and instead train your staff properly so they know how to ask the right questions, and stop feeding us so many empty calories!   Smiley Happy