Can't change from Mass Storage to Charge Only....
prosepromo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Prior to ICS, I use to keep my DROID RAZR (and previous droid phones), plugged into my computer charging while I worked on the computer. This way I could watch movies on my phone, while working on the computer.  I received ICS a couple days ago and noticed the "Charge Only" option was no longer available.  Today I went to watch a movie and got an error; "Memory card is in USB mass storage mode. Please exit this mode to access memory card." Additionally, I know I'm probably paranoid, but I don't like my phone in storage mode except when I'm actually adding/removing files, because I feel like it makes my phone and or computer more vulnerable to unwanted hacks.

As we all know, if I'm in 4G my battery won't last long, and that's w/o even running anything other then my emails, so keeping my phone charging is a must.

Does any one know when this HUGE (in my opinion) oversight will be fixed.

Some people might say just plug it in the wall outlet, however, sometimes I'm working from my car, and using my car adapter to charge my computer, so my phone has to go to my computer to charge. Other times, I have limited wall outlets.

Having the Charge Only option is a necessity!

Labels (2)
Re: Can't change from Mass Storage to Charge Only....
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

They must have changed it to reflect the MTP protocol used on the Galaxy Nexus and other ICS devices. I don't think that they are going to change it back.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

maybe they're starting to realize that usb charging isn't a good way to charge the device, nor any device.

0 Likes
jen7677

Ok wow, I thought I was trippin and some app had screwed up my phone cause my phone was not doing this either! Annoying as all get out! I agree with the original poster a million percent! I want this option back like yesterday, please and thanks! Why must they change things like this without telling the USER OF THE PHONE or say consulting us first. If it's not good for the phone as bearone21 says then fine, they still should of said something and if it is that bad then why in the world do they even allow it in thee first place??!! Anyways w/e I too would like this feature to come back! O and here's my biggest issue, when my phone plugs in and automatically mounts the sd it screws up my danged ringtones and notifications! Not cool! It does not always fix itself either when it is unplugged from the computer so then I, THE USER, get to go back and fix it, a very unwelcome tedious task imo.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

it's not that it's not good, it's just not the good way to charge the phone, which should be done in a wall charger with the charger that came with the phone or an approved universal charger available from verizon/motorola.

it's got to be aggravating for folks, on the go, that need to charge in the car to keep up & running.

0 Likes
prosepromo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well my phone came with a usb w/ wall adapter, and the manual specifically said that I can charge through the usb connection.

It is extremely aggravating to be sold a phone with features and then have them taken away with no warning or explanation.  I had to buy 2, $30 ea, portable battery chargers (plug in over night and take with me) with its own usb attached, so I can keep my phone charged. Since 1 only does about 2/3rd a charge (if you're not using it) I had to get 2.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

go for it

0 Likes
Chimerically
Enthusiast - Level 2

You need to do some research before just commenting on topics you don't understand.

"maybe they're starting to realize that usb charging isn't a good way to charge the device, nor any device."

Wow.. really? why is that? Amperage? Voltage?

Not only are many devices designed to charge from a standard USB port the Amperage specs are well inline with the manufactures recommendations. Depending on port USB 1, 2x or 3x the amperage is between .5-.9 which is normal for wall or rapid chargers they all run at 5v

Additionally all modern phones have protection incase someone plugs the device into a port that runs the PoweredUSB spec which I highly doubt anyone is using on their desktop/laptop.

Motorola not only supports it, but read this URL: http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Support-Homepage/Software_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Driv..."PC-Charging-Drivers" clearly this is fine.

In fact many ThinkPads come with a port specifically to run at slightly higher amperage and charge devices even when the laptop is off, not only that they let you configure it.

Try using Google, or reading the voltage/amperage specs before commenting on a topic. Or better yet read the mfg recommendations.

bearone21
Legend

yo sport, with 2 points for a close answer, you get credit for 1/2 an answer with one point

post a real link that says usb charging is = to wall charging, not a link that leads me to a driver page.

post whatever numbers you like pal, real world, phones don't do as well with usb charging as wall charging.

the fact that think pads may do well with usb charging means nothing, were talking about phones.

it's funny, now that the razr doesn't have a capability to charge with usb after ics, what's that tell you that the mfg is saying.

0 Likes
Chimerically
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you even read the thread "sport"?

The problem is not charging it's "Charge only" the phone still charges with USB and yes on devices that run closer to 1AMP they even charge fast... What you don't seem to understand is that it always mounts storage in ICS. Some applications require access to SD storage so when charging on a computer that mounts the storage presented to it, some functionality/apps on the phone do not work.

No one said usb charging=wall charging (although is the Amperage is high enough it does) ... hell I don't think anyone cares. It's nice to have your phone charging (even if slower) and fully functional during the day without a wall charges and yes it is manufacture approved, again try reading or using a tool like google... or maybe knowing the first thing about how the USB spec /voltages and amperage work.

Making ridiculous statements like this gem: "maybe they're starting to realize that usb charging isn't a good way to charge the device, nor any device." - With no facts to back your information up is just ignorant. In fact I personally own android based devices that don't even come with a wall charger. It's all about Watts and Amps how can you not understand that?

Here is another one: "it's funny, now that the razr doesn't have a capability to charge with usb after ics, what's that tell you that the mfg is saying." - Again wrong, the device still charges, just always presents storage as well

I can find forum posts saying there devices won't charge, or charge slowly... yeah well different mfg's have used a different spec usb.... Its important to research what you are plugging in and what the output is. And yes my Thinkpad's dedicated port charges as fast as my rapid charger and way faster than the Motorola branded external battery pack.

You just post blanket statements with no knowledge.