Re: Can't change from Mass Storage to Charge Only....
bearone21
Legend

running music + charge only, would the battery ever fully charge or would you just leave it on the charger for several hours a day?

fwiw:

i charge my phone "off". i can pickup any voice-mails, text or emails when i power it on.

verizon recommends shutting the phones off every once in a while, like rebooting a pc.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

That is a Good Thing for Sure.!

0 Likes
Marcellus
Enthusiast - Level 2

I shut off my phone at night and charge it, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the point.  I commute to work.  On my commute, I like to listen to music and audiobooks.  This uses up the battery.  Plugging it in to the charger reduces the battery usage so that when I get to work, I generally still have a fully charged battery.  This allows me to listen to my music and audiobooks at work as well.  Then when I head home, I plug it in to the charger again and listen to music through the blutooth again.

Now, it's either charge it, or listen to my music.  I can go spend money on a cigarette lighter charger,  but it irritates me because I'm forced to go blow money on something that I shouldn't have to.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I use my Maxx for Various Listening things at the Moment i'm using it for Listening to Scanner a app that i have i rarely put it on a Charger when doing this as for Music Listening i listen to Slacker an Winamp i have streamed them two on different Times up to 20Hrs.  b33 Smiley Happy

0 Likes
dgizzim
Enthusiast - Level 2

To all of you supporters of the new "mass storage only" USB connections, get with the program. Computers were designed with power to the USB port. Any device with a USB charge port should be allowed to charge in this fashion without restrictions, otherwise, the phone (OS or hardware) was built/designed cheaply and with limited research. Hey, I'm in the office and I just don't feel like adding another outlet so I can recharge my device with a charger. What era were you born in, c'mon. It's all about convenience...anyone else with me on this?

0 Likes
Marcellus
Enthusiast - Level 2

dgizzim wrote:

To all of you supporters of the new "mass storage only" USB connections, get with the program. Computers were designed with power to the USB port. Any device with a USB charge port should be allowed to charge in this fashion without restrictions, otherwise, the phone (OS or hardware) was built/designed cheaply and with limited research. Hey, I'm in the office and I just don't feel like adding another outlet so I can recharge my device with a charger. What era were you born in, c'mon. It's all about convenience...anyone else with me on this?

Okay, I have to assume you didn't bother to read through the post since your reply is irrelevent.  The issue isn't being able to charge from a usb port.  The issue is being able to access your internal or SD storage while your phone is connected to the usb on a computer (or in my case, the usb port in my car).  I think most of us already know that the phone will still charge.  Some of us want to still be able to use all the features of our phones while charging from a usb on a pc.  This was easily accomplished before by putting the phone in "Charge Only" mode.  It allowed us to charge our phones on a computer usb port without having to give up functionality.  So, in answer to your comment "It's all about convenience...anyone else with me on this?", Yes, I AM with you.  The problem is that the convenience was taken away!!!

dgizzim
Enthusiast - Level 2

Correct!!!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

My Feeling It's Best to Charge with the Charger that Came with it that's what it was intended for.. The Charger Puts out the Right Amount of DC Current and it Regulates it while doing it)  Doing it Via a Computer does NOT.!  that's why it steams me that the Manufactures still use this style charging.. they need to go back to Chargers like Motorola's Travel Charger with cord built in for charging only)  And use the Use the USB for data transfer's only..  b33Smiley Happy

0 Likes
soogees

I didn't read the whole thread and I'm tech challenged (so please be kind) but I read a couple of replies that said the phone is still charging even though that's not an option. But, even though I  could swear I used to be able to charge my phone in my car (USB), I just recently noticed it now says "discharging" and it does so at a pretty rapid rate. So, if I'm reading right, I need to get an adaptor to use the 12V instead or use the USB if want to drain the battery?

0 Likes
dgizzim
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you bank with Wells Fargo, they like you to use their ATM and charge fees if you withdraw money from another source. But from time to time, we withdraw form the other source and pay a fee...it's called convenience. It's convenient to plug my phone into my laptop at the office instead of using up the valuable but rare "spare outlet" for the charger. -- GOOD NEWS FOR ALL--> there are "charge only" cords available. I just ordered one from PureGear. Do a search and you'll fine one. By shorting together the two data pins, it signals the phone to treat any USB port as just a charger, and draw 1 amp (1000 mA) of power rather than go to USB data connection mode trickle charge at 500mA.