Damaged Charging Port: Factory Repair Required?
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

I have a Maxx HD that will be approaching warranty on 16 December.  A few days ago I noticed my charging cable was very loose and the phone wasn't charging.  I took a chance and used the cable from  the car dock connection and was able to charge but don't want to keep moving the cable between the house and the car.  I took the phone into a Verizon outlet store and they determined the port was damaged, recessed too far back for some reason, which is why the actual charging cable wasn't making contact; the car dock cable has a more streamilined connector so can make the connection a little further in).  Now, the phone has never been dropped, never been pulled off a cable, I don't talk or use the phone when it is charging and the phone has not been abused in any way; this is the second DROID phone to have the problem.

I sent the last one in for factory repair but had already upgraded to a new phone (the update date fortunately fell into place when the port died) so I sent it in for factory repair and full reset so I could give the phone to a friend.  Unfortunately I don't have the option this time as I am only a year into the new contract..this is my only phone and I would hesitate, if possible, to send it in and not have it for four or five days.  Does this actually need to go ion for warranty factory repair or can a local cell phone repair place handle it?  If the local places can't repair/replace the charger ports I don't want to waste time going to one.

Is there any particular reason these ports keep going bad?

Labels (2)
0 Likes