Do I have to turn data on to make/get calls internationally?
randkb

I travel to Canada regularly and while I have a work phone that has a global data plan I also bring my personal phone. Recently I upgraded to Lollipop and the Droid Turbo. Now when I'm in Canada I get the message "emergency calls only" and I can't find the setting to turn on just voice roaming. On my last phone (Droid Maxx) I could still get voice calls without turning on cellular data. My work iPhone easily connects to the local network (ROGERS) without having the data turned on (I only use data when I can't get a wifi signal).

Is it the phone? Is it Lollipop? Is it me? Surely there must be a way to turn off data and still make and receive calls. My personal phone is the number I use as an emergency contact so not having this ability is a real problem.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Do I have to turn data on to make/get calls internationally?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your phone is certainly able to make calls while in Canada Randy. Sounds like your phone is not provisioned for international service. You can add international service if you login to your My Verizon account at this link http://spr.ly/6582BGxhI; You can also check international rates and international service eligibility for all countries at this link vzw.com/TripPlanner

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

Re: Do I have to turn data on to make/get calls internationally?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your phone is certainly able to make calls while in Canada Randy. Sounds like your phone is not provisioned for international service. You can add international service if you login to your My Verizon account at this link http://spr.ly/6582BGxhI; You can also check international rates and international service eligibility for all countries at this link vzw.com/TripPlanner

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!