Re: Don't Buy a Droid Razr Maxx
VZW_consumer
Contributor - Level 1

rdoactv wrote:

I loved it until today. I got the dreaded ICS automatic download. Not by choice. It ***** now.I hate it. Lags,freezes, the screen lock is just for looks..it doesn't work,  and the extra battery life for Maxx is now null and void. Hate the new OS. Buy an iphone.

I had GB for a few hours before the ICS update was forced onto me.  GB was not anywhere visually comparable to GB on my facinate.  Guess each mfg does there own thing with android.  After the update to ICS, my first impression was I hated it.  Given a week has past using ICS, it's not as bad as I originally thought.  Browser is so much better.  Settings and such are still a bit awkward and not as easy to get to.  I'm hanging in and hoping for a possible update to JB.  Good luck. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

As B33 and others have been saying, stick with it, connect with others that seem to have had some experience.  The Maxx is my second Droid (my first being a Droid Incredible).  It was in these forums that I learned a lot about Android.  As a result I have come to enjoy the flexibility Androids allow (iPhone does not).  As for some of the problems you seem to be having, a cache wipe or FDR may be needed to correct those problems.  I have heard of so many that have had similar problems and once they performed one of these their problems went away.

ICS over GB does take a bit of getting used to.  There may be some things in GB that you may like over ICS but there are things in ICS that have way improved.  Give it some time.

B33
Legend

Good inspiration: We need more of it on here.. bSmiley Happy

newell111

And if anyone is having issues with the ICS, they can relax becoz Motorola is going to release a bug fix update around august - http://www.motoask.com/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-updates-f162/droid-razr-maxx-ics-bug-fix-updates-com...

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Thanks for the Link!  Yup it would be nice to see the Update Soon and since were Basically at mid Aug. it shouldn't be to Far away..

0 Likes
RyanAZ752
Enthusiast - Level 2

You were not forced to update from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich, you are given the choice to manually update it and accept the download and installation. The installation even pops up a screen to make sure if you want to install the update before you are stuck with it. I bought my phone a few days ago and manually went in and updated from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich, it did not force anything on me. The only way it forced it on you is if you manually accepted it or you turned on the automatic update feature for all the updates, which includes ice cream sandwich.

The only problem with my phone is there is a small black circle and a few small dots which can only be seen in the dark with a dark back round. I have had zero issues updating from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich. My battery is setup nice to with my wi-fi turned on it last's me around 11 hours before the battery dies out, which is fine for me.

The small circle and dots are not that bad, I've just grown to live with it. If I went into the store it would probably just get worst if I received another phone with the same problem which may have even more circles and dots in the phone. I bought my phone pre-owned for 149.99 and the small circle isn't much of a problem. I got a really good price for the phone, it works correctly and I haven't run into any other problems with it.

The only thing I'm really mad about is that the phone did not come with a pre-installed 16gb mini sd card. Everything else was there but its obvious the person who had it before me took it out and kept it.

JBT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same thing with my X. The OS update last year fried it and fried the SD card. No complaints that VZW sent me a refurb X overnight, that was great, haven't had a single issue with it since, but there was no SD card! I had to go buy one, and it cost more than the phone! Totally not cool. But I splurged and got a nice fat 32MB one for all my music and Angry Birds backups (heh heh) and that completely fixed all the issues I had with my first X. I think the crappy OEM 16MB SD cards were too slow for the phone, and that's what kept crashing it. So they did me a favor by not sending me a new card with the new phone.

sazetts

To add password to default *86 in contacts Voicemail on Droid Razr M:

It is desired to have *86,,xxxx# rather than just *86.

On forums there are instructions to open the dialer, press the menu bar and enter "voicemail settings" and change. 

However, only the speed dial preset "1" took the change and dialing from the status bar icon if there 

was a call waiting.  The "Voicemail" contact kept *86 and was not editable.  To workaround that (for voice dialing with password), the following worked:

Add a second "Voicemail" contact with *86,,xxxx#.  After saving that contact, the two Voicemail contacts automatically

merged to a single Voicemail contact with both *86 and *86,,xxxx#.  Then change the default to the number containing the password.

0 Likes