Droid Maxx WIFI will not connect
SuperSizeMI
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have seen several other posts on this question on the community, but the discussion usually seems to get highjacked by someone with a different problem and I haven't been able to find any solution. Recently I got a notification that I had used almost all of my wireless data allotment and when I went in to look at my Wifi settings I realized that it is not connecting to any of the networks I normally use - not at home, not at the office, etc.

What will happen is that the list of available networks changes frequently and often a network will not show up at all, even though I am using a computer on the same network two inches away. When it does show up, it will say "Saved" and when I click on it and choose Connect, it will change to "Connecting..." and then go right back to "Saved" - no connection at all.

I used the Verizon online chat support and they were very nice, had me boot in safe mode, then reboot and then factory reset the phone, and then said because it is my home wifi, they can't provide any support. I explained that this is happening everywhere but to no avail. So I took the phone to the Verizon store, thinking that maybe if I could demonstrate that the phone won't connect to store wifi that someone would help. After waiting through Black Friday lines, the guy messed with the phone for a few minutes, was unable to get any of the store wifi networks to work, then connected it to his phone (as a mobile hotspot) and handed it back to me, saying it was now fixed. After that, I was able to connect to store wifi but of course it still doesn't work anywhere else. I guess I should have stayed there to see how long it would stay connected. My guess is after a couple minutes it would drop again.

Does anyone have any solutions for this? Verizon does not appear to be able to help, even though I can show this is happening with many different wifi networks, and it was all working great as recently as two weeks ago and I have not changed settings on my routers or anything. The only difference I can think of, having read some posts on this, is that I got a software update recently. Since then, I think my wifi has not worked at all, but I didn't notice right away. At this point I am considering moving away from Motorola products altogether, although I don't know if any of the other brands are any better. I am also seriously thinking about switching providers after my contract ends, although that is a long way off, so there's no point to me making a hasty decision about that.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Labels (2)
Re: Droid Maxx WIFI will not connect
TB1235
Enthusiast - Level 2

This problem was caused by the latest update (23.3.24) which came out around Oct 31. Apparently Verizon claims the problem is most likely caused by some 3rd party app(s) having a conflict with the update. So far I've been unable to identify any particular app that might be causing the problem. I'm hoping for an update to fix the problem or if anyone has identified problem apps hopefully they will post them here.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Have you tried running in safe mode.//

0 Likes
TB1235
Enthusiast - Level 2

Apparently some people had similar problem after KitKat release and found they could get WiFi by putting phone into airplane mode. Just tried it and it worked. Hopefully it will work for you too.

Yes, safe mode works as well. Thanks for the tip.

B33
Legend

Your welcome...

SuperSizeMI
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried safe mode and airplane mode and neither one helps. Thanks for the insight and suggestions, though.

I did also do a factory reset yesterday as part of the troubleshooting process. It seems like whatever the problem is, it must be part of the base OS or the apps that come preinstalled.

B33
Legend

Your welcome) And all you can do is try and hope there's something coming soon to get the phone back close to were it was, maybe the 5.0  OS  or another maintenance update will re-balance the phone

gleat
Enthusiast - Level 1

This has worked for me...so far.