Re: Droid Maxx mdnsd draining battery
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TOMPER54,

We want to make sure your phone is meeting all of your needs. The battery draining that fast wouldn't make me happy either. When did it start having this issue? What apps are you concerned about?

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TOMPER54

I've had battery issues off and on, usually after something updates. What's concerning is when I check on what's using the battery and something like this pops up and I can't even tell what app is using this function. Right now it's "google play services" using 26% of the battery -- what app is using that? Who knows? You can't shut it down because you don't know what is using it. These kind of messages are simply unhelpful. Tell us what app is misusing the battery so we can do something about it. And so many built in services that can't be shut down or deleted. Why do I even have NFL mobile? I don't want it, but I can't delete it, it just sits there sucking up memory space. I know you make money off it but it does me no good.

0 Likes
bcmedic11

I'm having the same problem, following this post for a solution.  Ironically my problem started shortly after Verizon notified my of an available upgrade.

0 Likes
MATDEG59
Enthusiast - Level 1

Reposting a solution from January 8th. This worked for two phones from my account that mdnsd was killing my battery and performance...You will be all fixed in 5 minutes!

I found something that works for me that might be worth trying. (I have a Note 3, which started having the same battery draining mdnsd issue a few weeks ago. I have been following multiple threads trying to find a resolution and figured out the following solution a week and a half ago that continues to work for me as I wanted to thoroughly test what seemed to be working before posting.)

Before unplugging the phone from the power cord, turn it off and then turn it back on but leave it plugged in for another 5 minutes before removing. (It didn't matter whether I charged the phone to 100% or just 25%.) When I do this, the mdnsd no longer shows in the list of items using up the battery. Better yet, the battery is lasting nearly as long as it used to when the phone was brand new so I've been pleasantly surprised.

I hope this works for you as well.

0 Likes
TERWHI46

MDNSD appeared out of nowhere on my droid maxx, also after researching an upgrade and new phone on verizon.  I did not have Firefox or Freeflight.  I have done factory reset three times.  It keeps returning with significant battery drain in all modes (25-27%).  I have now removed firefox from my PC, as well.  I cannot seemed to find a solution for this and it seems malicious.  Help, please!

0 Likes
DAVWHI64

MDNSD has appeared uninvited on my MAXX twice now and both times it got very hot and drained the battery in less than 12 hours.  I do not have Firefox or Freeflight apps.  I have narrowed it down to two apps, one of which seems to be the primary culprit:  updates to Google Play Services.  The MDNSD issue has occurred after both most recent updates.  Tried the power off, charge, restart solution with no luck.  Very frustrated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As a consumer myself, I truly understand your concerns regarding your battery life and the applications that use your phone’s battery TOMPER54. While some applications cannot be removed from your phone, you can always disable those applications so that they are not using any resources in the background.

Please visit this link for steps to disable applications: http://spr.ly/65848u2er

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TERWHI46

Now the mdnsd is up to using 38% of my battery.  I cannot determine which app this process is linked.  Situation is getting worse with this.  Please do something substantive, Verizon.

0 Likes
bcmedic11

I found I still had the battery drain problem even in safe mode that led me to think it's not an app.  I tried what someone suggested, plugged the phone in to charge, turned it off and waited 5 minutes. Then unplugged it and turned it back on.  No more mdnsd but now there are several Android icons showing under battery use. Fortunately they aren't using as much battery as the mdnsd.

0 Likes
PBS1972

I am running a droid ultra. This problem showed up a couple of weeks ago, and after trial and error, my problem was the Facebook app. I doubt they are going to solve this problem , so for now I will be sans Facebook via the app.

0 Likes