Re: Droid Maxx mdnsd draining battery
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should dig deeper into the two items that found issues.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
TIMMB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did.

The "App from unknown sources" is a simple solitaire game that I've had installed for longer than the problem has been occurring.  The "Applications with more access" is just about every app on the phone. Facebook, Verizon Video, Navigation, Photos, etc. 

After I did a factory reset I noticed that mdnsd started to appear even before I re-installed the extra apps that I use.  This leaves me with the following conclusion:

THERE'S A BUG IN ANDROID.

Now, how does one go about getting this fixed?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Purchase a device with a newer version of the OS? The Droid Maxx is very likely already at the end of life for software support. If it gets another security update, I would be shocked.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
TIMMB
Enthusiast - Level 2

This problem is being reported on a number of different android devices, and from users using different carriers.  Cost of a new device aside, how can I be certain that whatever device I purchase won't see the same issue?

Google developers need to step up and provide a solution to this issue.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-4-kitkat/757039-mdnsd-killing-my-battery.html

0 Likes
TIMMB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Misery loves company.  That thread just backs up my point that this problem is across multiple android platforms and carriers.  Hopefully someone will post a definitive solution.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What that thread told me is it all stems from a poorly written application that is constantly queuing the SD card. The thread mentions at least two possible culprits. It means that you need to figure out which application is causing it. Boot your phone in Safe Mode and see if the issue returns after using the phone for at least 24 hours. If it doesn't, then you need to start uninstalling your most recently added or updated applications.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

As I mentioned before purchasing a new phone with the newer version of the OS can help. Especially if you purchase a phone without the option to have a SD card slot. Every single thread I came across involved an old phone model with a SD card slot.

0 Likes
TIMMB
Enthusiast - Level 2

This phone doesn't have an SD card. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TIMMB, I want to thank you for working with me on this and all of the visuals. They really help. I wanted to ask if you click the following link and check on apps. Click http://vz.to/2iN4IyL .
VeronicaM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes