Droid Maxx pixelation screen
alillacey

Our droid maxx has been on the fritz fit a week now. When the phone is normally touched the unlock screen appears with a clock and the unlock symbol which you slide to unlock. Now either the unlock emblem doesn't show, or it will show the clock with no unlock emblem and around the clock the screen is pixelated, like when your tv is on the wrong input and it's fuzzy. Other times the whole entire screen is that fuzzy pixelation. When it does this the screen won't respond to touch other than the home buttons on the bottom. To get it to work again sometimes the power button will bring it back and sometimes we have to soft reset it. Other times nothing works and we just have to wait it out and eventually it will work again. We tried a hard reset today and it still did it.  Then we took the protective case off and it was fine so we tried a different case, same problem. W/o the case so far it seems to be ok. Any ideas?IMG_20150402_113240528.jpg

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Maxx pixelation screen
Snn5
Legend

Yes, digitizer.  It's not a really cheap fix though.  If you have accidental you can get that covered for 100-150 dollars deductible, cheaper than a new part and installation.  Probably cheaper than the part alone.  I could always be wrong, but there's not much you can do about software other than do other things that would void the warranty.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
alillacey,

We always want to make sure your phone works great for you and you can rely on it! That sort of screen would definitely concern me. Were these cases the same type or different types of cases? How long has this been going on for? Is it still working fine without the case?

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
alillacey

It's two different cars that it will do it with. One is a hard plastic case and the other is a two piece case that has the soft rubber layer that goes on first and then the hard plastic layer goes over it. The phone has always had the two piece case on it. We tried the other one just to see if the same thing would happen. We have left the case off now for 4 days and no problems so it's only with the case on. Our other droid maxx has the same case and no problems.

--- Original Message ---

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Sounds like any pressure on the screen, at least in the right area, causes this.  I suspect digitizer and that the case only makes it noticeable now, but if you press a finger to the screen around the edges, you will see the same effect as the case.

0 Likes
alillacey

Today, still with no case on it, the screen has gone black. It still responds to touch. Like it will ring and if you guess where to slide it to answer it that will still work the screen just stays black.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Time to retire that phone. 

0 Likes
alillacey

We've only been using it for 6 months. : ( What are you thinking is wrong with it?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Droid Razr Maxx as in 3+ years old or Droid Maxx ~2 years old?  That phone looks pretty rough around the edges.  How old is the phone itself and is it second/third hand, from a friend or bought offline?

0 Likes
alillacey

That's the screen protector that makes it look awful. It's peeled up around the edges. Yes we took that off too. It really is in awesome condition. And it's the Droid Maxx, not RAZR maxx, new from the store. I do have to say though 6 months ago we had the screen replaced after a minor fall to the floor shattered it. Yes, the screen broke a week after we got it. No other incidences. The new case for it was in the mail, such as it goes. Anyway, that's why I'm wondering what you think is wrong if it has to do with the screen replacement or software issue.

--- Original Message ---

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

If no master reset helps, the insides might have been damaged beyond the screen.  There is the glass that broke and the digitizer that creates what you see on display.  Could be the digitizer under the glass was damaged.

0 Likes