Droid Maxx using local Italian SIM card
ajd9

I'm traveling to Italy in June and want to purchase a local Italian SIM card to use in my Droid Maxx. Is there a way to tell if my device is unlocked and/or compatible with Italian based GSM networks (900/1800)? I've heard horror stories of people with Verizon devices not being able boot foreign SIMs.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Maxx using local Italian SIM card
ajd9

Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 8.32.49 PM.png

Okay, I found the answer in the Droid Maxx specs - this should work for most data plans in Italy. Connecting this to what the Italian sites are saying (below), I believe this will work:

"2G up to EDGE is on 900 and 1800 MHz, 3G UMTS on 900 and 2100 MHz. LTE/4G is on 800, 1800 and 2600 MHz, has started on all providers and is available to all prepaid customers mainly in the cites, but not for their MVNOs. A network check in 2016 gave a clear listing what coverage and speed is concerned: Vodafone is in the lead, followed by TIM. Tre is in third position and Wind is last.

The only caveat is that you need to use one of the major carriers. Vodafone is in the airport in Rome, so I'll go with them.

Does anyone have direct experience with the Droid Maxx and foreign SIMs??

0 Likes