Droid RAZR Maxx Cracked screen
TMregan

I'm still living with my cracked screen Razr Maxx.  At least it still functions as a phone.  The old thread that talked about this topic is closed out, but I'm now trying to see about a new screen.  After reviewing the feedback that has been posted, I had to comment further.  The comments that indicated people did not care for their phone was condescending and frankly out of line.  I am a material scientist.  I design the windows and domes that are used in ballistic missile defense systems.  I would classify myself as a "materials expert".  The idea that a super strong material can break in two pieces or four pieces for that matter is a joke.  Sorry folks it does not work that way.  Strong materials are strong because they can deform while storing the energy that is being put into them.  Gorilla glass is glass, but if it has flaws in it they become the limiting factor in the materials overall strength.  There are serious strength limiting flaws in gorilla glass if it breaks with few long fractures.  When a good technical ceramic material breaks there are many tiny pieces and more cracks than you can count.  This is because the glass stored the energy from being deformed and then the energy was released at failure.  My screen with 3 two inch long cracks had the strength of tissue paper.  To go into the store and then be told that you must have done something to cause the failure is at the least demeaning, leaving you to feel like a dirt ball who cannot take care of the property.  Verizon seriously let a lot of people down by refusing to support their customers and instead supporting their vendor.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Droid RAZR Maxx Cracked screen
TJinNOVA

My son's RAZR Maxx just experienced a similar issue.  His explanation is as follows: "There are two hairline cracks on the inner screen of the phone below the glass. You can't feel the damage at all. It didn't sustain any impact or damage before I noticed it was broken. It was just sitting in my pocket the whole night." He's always been careful with all of his electronic eqipment.  He's never abused any of his previous phones, and his last Droid phone before this one, he used for two year without any problems.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there TJinNOVA,

I really appreciate your son looking after his devices. It is definitely important to be careful with them! I would love the opportunity to review your account further for all options. I've followed you. If you could please hover over my icon, follow me back and send me a direct message with the following information:

- Your phone number
- Account verification (last 4 of social or billing password)
- Your sons phone number

To double check, the phone doesn't have any other signs of physical damage, such as liquid damage, breaks or corrosion(green/white flaky substance in charging ports or headphone jacks)?

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You want to send a follow request to and not the generic moniker.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mecamc1

OMG!  The exact same thing happened to my husband's Droid Razr Maxx HD !!!  I called Verizon and they said they'd replace it (no, we did not have their insurance) for free.  They sent a refurbished of the exact same model.  BUT then then they charged him $250!!!  As they said it would be free, I spent many hours on the phone with them and they finally refunded the $250.  I think they may have made an exception in this case because they said they never replace for free even tho the first rep said they would.

As it was the exact same senario of cracking as yours, I wonder if these are not Gorilla glass after all.

0 Likes
RonG86

I was in my dentist's chair 4 hours ago. Turned ringer down and placed in pocket by itself. When I went outside to call my wife, the glass was shattered but intact and lcd still working. It had not left my pocket nor even gotten bumped.  have insurance but the failure is not my fault. What will Verizon do about it other than reference me to the manufacturer?  Battery heat?

0 Likes
mrsav

My Droid Maxx decided to do the same thing. I have had Motorola phones for years and never had an issue. I have my phone in a otterbox. I keep all my phones in them so I can top dollar when I resell it when I upgrade. My contract is still not up for me to get the upgrade so expect to have till then. My glass is intact completely but the inside looks like a fishnet stocking. There is absolutely no scratches anywhere on the phone. the screen will not even work. I have insurance but why should I pay $99 to get a new one if I didn't break it. If they do this to make you get the edge program, that's just very wrong. Word of advice to anyone reading. DO NOT GET A DROID MAXX!! Even if you get a Zagg and a Otterbox defender series it does not make a difference.

0 Likes
Fuzzywucket

I had this happen on my Droid Maxx last Nov. I literally sat that and watched the screen crack from the bottom two corners all the way up. I took my phone into a Verizon store where a rep looked it over carefully, and agreed that there was no damage to my phone that would suggest I dropped it, or abused it in anyway. Now I am fighting with Verizon over a $300.00 defective device charge for returning the damaged phone. Why should I have to pay the 300.00 or even the 100.00 to my insurance for a defect that wasn't my fault??

0 Likes