Droid Razor Maxx didn't work in Europe.
JimSmith055

I upgraded to a Droid Razor Maxx HD last December, in part because it was supposed to be international capable. I travel to Europe, Germany and Italy in particular on a regular basis and got tired of buying pre-paid phones there. I got the international calling plan, set the system settings to global, did everything I was supposed to do. But....when I landed in Frankfurt and turned the phone on; no signal. I went to a Telekom cell phone store and they kind of snickered that I was fooling with a Droid when I could have had an iPhone, but otherwise tried to be helpful. They even tried putting in a sim card from one of their phones. Nothing we did worked. So, I resorted to another pre-paid phone. I was sooooo ready to drop Verizon. Has anyone else had that problem? And, does anyone know if the iPhone would be a better choice for an international traveler?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Razor Maxx didn't work in Europe.
mwagner2

I sure hope this doesn't happen when I receive my Maxx.   And I, too, will arrive in Frankfurt.    Did you get Verizon to unlock your phone so it will accept another SIM?    I always do that before leaving for Europe.

0 Likes
JimSmith055

A few days before I left, I called Verizon and got an international calling plan, making it clear that I would need to be able to call both ways. They supposedly unlocked my phone at that time, had me reboot it while I talked to them on another phone, then declared me ready to go. Now, even with all Verizon's vast resources, not one of their geniuses can tell me why the phone wouldn't work. I hope you have better luck than I did.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I regret to hear that your service did not work while traveling JimSmith055. I completely understand the need of having reliable service especially when traveling. There are many different factors that can impact service while outside of the coverage area. We certainly would need to review your account and get in contact with our Global team to avoid this situation in the future. Send me a private message with your name and mobile number so that I can take a deeper dive!

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JimSmith055

I have talked to several people at Verizon about this. I got a lot of sympathy, and the cost of the phone I had to buy in Germany has been reimbursed by Verizon. Basically Verizon has done everything they can after the fact to make this up to me. The only thing they haven't done is figure out how it happened. I've been over it in my head a hundred times, and the only possibility I can come up with is that maybe somehow they didn't get the phone unlocked.

<< Personal information removed. >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
aaz119

Hi mwagner, did you end up taking the Droid Maxx to Germany?  Did it end up working?  I will be in Germany in about a month or so and am curious what you did for access.

Thanks

0 Likes