Droid Razr M won't boot
tomkiley
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has now happened to me several times. 

The screen will refuse to turn on (the phone will still be on and the led may be lit depending on messages.)  So I'll do a hard restart by holding all the buttons.  Upon restarting the phone will stay on the DROID eye logo forever.  Attempt to boot into recovery mode will fail with a sad looking android guy showing a red exclamation mark.  The phone will sit on this screen for a while and then reboot back into the normal loop. 

I was able to get it working before by using fastboot to load the original firmware on the device.  This is a major pain in the ass.  Why does this keep happening?  What's the right way to fix this?

Labels (2)
Re: Droid Razr M won't boot
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tomkiley,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your phone. We definitely want you to be able to use it properly. What happened to cause it to do this? Did it happen when you were doing anything specific? These are the steps for the reset http://vz.to/1klAUr8. It sounds like when you get to the red exclimation point you have to hold both volume buttons to bring up prompts. Let us know if this helps or fill us in on how this happened. We look forward to helping.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tomkiley
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply.  I was able to restore the stock firmware using some instructions I found online the other day.  (Your link seems to go back to this page.)

Device wasn't doing anything.  It was charging, I think it received a call while charging, though it didn't ring.  Later at some point I attempted to remove from charger and use the side button to activate the screen.  The screen didn't turn on and it seemed completely unresponsive.  The LED was blinking showing I had a notification and that the device wasn't dead.  I then attempted a hard reboot by holding all the buttons and after that it refused to boot.  Hanging on the red eye. 

Mostly wondering if anyone else has seen this problem (I've seen it 3 times now) or if there's a solution.  Each time has required a full factory reset. 

Thanks,

-Tom

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello tomkiley,

Thanks for the update on the issue. I must say that this is certainly unusual. May I ask are you still having the issue after the last factory reset? Also, which method did you use to perform the factory reset? IF the issue does persist then please send us a private message so we can look into this deeper for you.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes
elite8
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue.  My phone got very hot and the screen was blank.  At that point the phone was unresponsive.  I performed a hard reboot and the phone is stuck at the startup Droid image.  Neither Normal, Recovery, Factory, or BP Tools worked.  The phone won't move past the Droid startup image.  I also tried the safemode reboot.  No luck.  I have a lot of pictures taken on the phone and would like to at least be able to retrieve those.

HELP!!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking the time to reach out, Elite8. I know how important it is to have a reliable device you can count on. How long have you had the device? Have you been able to hook your device up to your computer to review files that may be saved? http://vz.to/N89APj

YosefT_VZW

0 Likes
tomkiley
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for responding. 

It looks like after two months the problem has happened again.  This time the phone was acting very sluggish so I turned it off by holding the power button and selecting power off option.  I waited a few minutes and then turned it back on.  It went back to the boot logo and hung there. 

A possible common theme is I had a recently missed call that I hadn't acknowledged at least the last two time.  I'm not sure about before. 

I previously restored by setting the phone into fastboot and then restoring the image using Motorola's tool to rewrite  the system image. 

I understand how hard these problems can be to diagnose, but it seems like I have something of a lemon of a phone. 

Thanks for listening,

Tom

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional information tomkiley. I recommend completing a hard reset to factory settings, not restoring with saved settings and apps. By resetting with a restore, you could potentially but readding the actual problem. Here is a link to assist. http://vz.to/1kEchad

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Thepinkpandaxd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm currently having this same problem. my droid was acting very slow and apps were crashing so i rebooted the phone. it got stuck on the droid boot up animation. i followed the steps in this thread and tried the factory reset. the phone still won't boot all the way. the animation sound played briefly, then cut out completely. i've had the phone about a year and haven't done anything out of the ordinary that could have caused it

0 Likes
debbles12
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any luck? I'm having the same problem after a hard reset.

0 Likes