Re: Droid Razr Maxx HD - Randomly shuts off since last update
cookie_monstr

Here is another item that we have found.  It went several days while traveling, and then shut down shortly after connecting to a Wifi network, and several times after connecting.  Something it would seem with the Wifi appears to trigger the power off and kernal crash.

As far as a replacement goes unless it can be determined to be a hardware issue and not software then there is little likelihood that having another phone will solve the problem if it is in the software.

0 Likes
eilisrose

I have also been having this problem. I hope there is a fix for this soon as my phone is rather new.

0 Likes
eilisrose

I also posted the same issue on 7/30. I was told to try this. I am trying it now:

Yikes! We certainly can't have your phone taking naps in the middle of the day ( or in the middle of the night). Have you tested the device in Safe Mode? http://vz.to/W6Ax37 This will ensure that no third party apps are causing the device to quit operating. In addition, how many applications are running in the background at the time of the shut down?

Yosef_VZW

Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cookie_monstr

I'm in the same boat as elisrose, I had the phone in a case with a screen protector from day one.  When Verizon sent the "certified like new" phone the case was badly scratched around the charger port and the phone appeared to be an earlier production model that seemed just a bit heavier. In the end after talking with the Verizon store personnel we sent the replacement back and if we can't get the problem solved we will get an RMA directly from Motorola and try to get our phone serviced and get our well take care of phone back.  That takes 7-10 days, but is better than a downgrade to a phone that was well used without a case.

I'm also going to try to do the Safe Mode test and see if that changes anything.  If I get a chance I will try to list the number of apps that we have installed, but the list is pretty short. 

0 Likes
Raccoon-Man

i have the razr maxx hd.  phone shuts down by it self the restarts.  i have done a system restart and hard start but it still does this any ideals.  thank you

0 Likes
Jalsf
Enthusiast - Level 1

Welcome to the club.  This is occurring on Razr, Razr Maxx, Razr Maxx HD and mostly other Motorola phones.  I am on the Android Test Forum Group for Moto Droid phones; there are 8,000 of us. We get the updates prior to general release.  This issue came up a year before general release, and it's the hot cinder issue in the forum now.

Motorola, as always, takes a defensive posture that it must be a fluke for some, or they're working on it.  In the early years, Android & Moto would listen to the feedback, now they really don't care.  There is little Verizon can do as it IS a moto and Android issue.

My entire work division (32 people) have Razrs & Razr Maxx.  We all have the issue, not just some of us, but All.  Verizon suggest a hard reset. Yes, let's do that again, for the 9th time.  For those in their 1st year, they get new phones, same issues.  I recently had my replaced by Asurion, and the new "refurbished" phone does the same thing.  It's a direct result of the new 4.1.2 Android update.

So, you ask, will it ever be fixed. Based on the feedback from Android in the Test Forum, NO!  They are relying on future updates. What I can say is that many complained of phone issues prior to the 4.1.2 update.  Those holding out, not wanting to upgrade found their phones started acting up.  Personally, and many in the forum would agree, once an update is out, they tweek the code enough to affect your older version so they push into the new update.

Ironically, part of my company has gone back to land-lines and voicemail. It's a 6 month experiment to test productivity against those who are totally digital and mobile.  In the 1st 3 months, those with land-lines and voicemail (no mobiles) have seen an increase in work productivity by.......you love this..........87%.  With a good laptop, you really no longer need a mobile phone. Simply set up a meeting and do a face to face via any of the myriad of online meeting services.

0 Likes
Jalsf
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh, another new event; WiFi turning itself on.

0 Likes
DarkFox

@ Garboots, I'm having the same issue and my phone is less than two months old. I didn't take notice to the particular date it started happening, but I have been late to work because the phone shut off while on the charger and the alarm didn't go off. I've had the shutoff happen normally after a full day and a half with it most recently happening in less than 24 hours. I hope Verizon and Motorola are able to come up with a solution because it's becoming very inconvenient and frustrating. I'm waiting for a possible patch, otherwise I'll exchange it before the one year warranty.

0 Likes
Hairbyrubenaguilar

Hello everyone....guess what.  I'm having the same issue! Shocker!! Well I've done all the resets, hard resets, and wiped everything clean, prayed, talked nice to it, now ive taken out the memory card and that seemed to work for about a day.  It shut down and now my phone just cycles on the droid "eye" during the start up..for what seems like forever.  I used to love this phone now it's just like all the rest..after the year mark they turn on you.  :(.  H...e...l..p...m...e...p..p..please!

0 Likes
cookie_monstr

Strangely enough, have you wiped your wireless network connections?  If you go into the Wi-Fi settings and then choose the pop up menu on the bottom and select "Manage Networks" and at the very bottom of the screen is "forget all networks".  After doing that our phone has been running for a week without shutting off instead of shutting off every 1-3 days.  Did it solve the problem? No, the software for the WiFi is still pretty suspicious to me, and I would recommend the development team to look into that area specifically.  Another thing you can try is to only use your wireless data plan for a short while to determine if the WiFi is truly the culprit on your phone.  Just to throw a curve-ball into the situation, I have also heard it being blamed on the WiFi router you are connecting to itself.  Certain routers have different protocols that the phones may not handle correctly at all times.  I have a Motorola Surfboard at home, and one would think that the various Motorola products would work well together . . . .

This sounds like something different for you to try- please report back if it seems to help your phone also.

Good Luck, Best Wishes

0 Likes