Droid Razr not receiving group or picture messages
ljbmartin

Ever since it updated the opearting system about a month ago, I can't receive group messages or picture messages.  The phone shows that I have unread messages but then I can't see them.  I have cleared the messaging cache, force stopped messaging, turned it off, and done a hard reset.  Any suggesstions?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Razr not receiving group or picture messages
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm assuming you have mobile data turned on?  Have you tried turning wi-fi off?  Do you have group messaging turned on in the text app (this is an option on some Motorolas, I'm not sure about yours)?

0 Likes
ljbmartin

I have group messaging turned on and this happens whether I am at home on WIFI or out and about on mobile data.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are home on wi-fi, you will not receive multimedia messages, i.e., group texts or those with pictures (unless you're using Verizon's Integrated Messaging).  Multimedia messages require a network data connection to send/receive, but they count against your text package and not your data plan. 

When you have both wi-fi and mobile data turned on, the phone should seamlessly switch to mobile data when you send/receive multimedia messages, but for various reasons, this sometimes doesn't happen.  And while it's annoying, sometimes wi-fi needs to be turned off in order for the texts to send/receive.

Try turning off wi-fi and ensuring that mobile data is turned on, and then see if the messages send/receive.

0 Likes
ljbmartin

I do have both turned on.  This most recent issue has been all morning while I was on mobile data and not wifi.  So far, I have 8 messages that are unread but I can't see them.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

ljbmartin wrote:

I do have both turned on. 

Have you tried leaving the mobile data turned on, but turning off wi-fi?

0 Likes
ljbmartin

I turned off wifi and I didn't receive the texts. Then I powered off my phone and now the messages are gone.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh, no!  Smiley Sad   Unfortunately, the system will only try to re-send the texts for a limited amount of time. 

There are various threads on the forum about users having text issues after the upgrade, and it isn't specific to one device.  Users are reporting success in using a different text app, such as Verizon's Integrated Messaging or one from the Play Store such as Textra.

0 Likes
dmckbrown

I am having the exact same issue!  The unread text number stays for a long time....but every time I open the text app, there are no new messages.  After talking to friends, we have figured out is the group messages.  However, I can see the replies!?!??   Just can't see the original message.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's take a look to see what might be causing this! I know I definitely want you to get all your messages successfully! What is the software version that the phone is on? (Settings>About Phone>System Version) Also, please check to see if this happens in Safe Mode. Use these steps to put your phone in this mode, and please test it out. http://vz.to/1qwWZVD

SandyS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes