Droid Turbo - 24.91.5/6.0.1 update - Performance, Proximity Sensor, Rotations
B0STR0M
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was surprised to see another patch for my old Droid Turbo.  Unfortunately, the application of the patch seems to have coincided with a number of performance issues.

First, the proximity sensor isn't working.  No longer can I wave my hand over the phone, and have the time show up.

Second, the screen is no longer rotating on almost any app.  I can occasionally get it to rotate, but it's very sproadic.

Third, the performance is noticeably worse.  There are times when I push the power button, and the screen will stay blank for 60 seconds or so.  A call comes in, and I hear it ringing about 15 seconds before anything shows up on the screen to allow me to answer the call.  Many apps get hung up, and I get the "wait or close" menu options.

Things had been fine a week ago.

Things I've tried:

Clearing space - have 8GB free.  Never had less than 6GB.

Restarting phone

Wipe cache partition

And, finally, a factory reset.  That helped (noticeably), but has not solved all the issues.

Again, what's frustrating is things were OK before the update.  It's the first-gen Droid Turbo (i.e., not the "2").  It is not rooted, but it is encrypted.  Same  configuration as before.

Anyone else having these problems on this model, or another?  Any fixes (other than rooting)?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Turbo - 24.91.5/6.0.1 update - Performance, Proximity Sensor, Rotations
B0STR0M
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did  try that the diagnostic, and there were no significant issues (i.e., Verizon Support & Protection not enabled, Applications with More Access, You're Using a lot of Storage - temp files).  Nothing material.

No other changes were made to the device.

I talked with Tech Support last night for 45 minutes or so.  Tried Safe Mode as well.  Nothing worked; literally cannot make a call, as screen is blank for 45 seconds or more after I input number.  Cannot answer a call, either, as screen is blank/unresponsive.

Came to conclusion that it warranted a warranty replacement.  However, given that we can't pinpoint the issue, I'm a little concerned about the replacement device as well

View solution in original post

Re: Droid Turbo - 24.91.5/6.0.1 update - Performance, Proximity Sensor, Rotations
LSSG79
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issues since yesterdays update but the biggest issues I am having is that my GPS is no longer accurate.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is troubling to hear that the phone is nor performing to your standards, BOSTROM and I’m happy to help you today. It’s our goal to determine what is causing these issues with the phone and we appreciate all of the details.

Just for clarification, when did you apply the update to the phone? Besides the update, have you made any other changes to the device? We also recommend you run a diagnostic http://vz.to/1tuzrWq on the phone to check the overall health. Please provide a few additional details and we will be ready to continue helping.

SteveR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
B0STR0M
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did  try that the diagnostic, and there were no significant issues (i.e., Verizon Support & Protection not enabled, Applications with More Access, You're Using a lot of Storage - temp files).  Nothing material.

No other changes were made to the device.

I talked with Tech Support last night for 45 minutes or so.  Tried Safe Mode as well.  Nothing worked; literally cannot make a call, as screen is blank for 45 seconds or more after I input number.  Cannot answer a call, either, as screen is blank/unresponsive.

Came to conclusion that it warranted a warranty replacement.  However, given that we can't pinpoint the issue, I'm a little concerned about the replacement device as well

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand your concern. It is important to us that you have a working phone. Did you have a replacement device ordered?

EstebanP_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
B0STR0M
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes - the replacement device should come today.

FWIW - I also re-enabled all the apps that had been disabled, on the theory that might've been part of the cause.  No sustained improvement.

Something is obviously burdening the CPU heavily in the background

0 Likes
Gunsnclapton
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issues.  Any time I open Maps, it freezes.   Anything location based freezes up too. 

Viscilyii
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having one issue in particular when using the keyboard. When typing and the phone is in a vertical (upright) position, and I hit the "?123" button in the lower left corner, i get the appropriate sub menu except for the spacebar. There's literally an empty spacebar​ where the space should be. The same thing happens when I rotate the phone sideways but in reverse. When I have the alphabet keyboard in front of me the spacebar disappears making it impossible to use the sideways keyboard in any intelligible way. But when I access the same sub menu and the phone is sideways the spacebar all of a sudden reappears. I updated my phone on march 7th and the problem started happening after that. This happens with all apps. I tried rebooting and that didn't help.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ensuring your device works properly is a must, Viscilyii. Let’s get your keyboard back working. What happens when you place the device in safe mode? Here’s how https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-118294/

JosephE_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
B0STR0M
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried "safe mode" with the representative on chat; same result.  Ultimately, he determined that the device should be replaced.

I've received the replacement device, and it seems to be working fine with the same operating system.