Re: Droid Turbo Marshmallow - please answer
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think this was posted in another thread on the community already too. Verizon and Google confirm Wi-Fi calling and HD voice will work with Pixel phones from Google Store

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
neburg964

Interesting... Android Police says the VZW version's bootloader is locked, Phone Arena says it isn't.

What I'm hearing is great news, but I'll wait until the phone is actually in VZW stores, has been tested, and see what the reviewers say on these subjects.  Either way, a Pixel XL is definitely in my immediate future.

I'll give the Turbo to my mother-in-law.  She won't care which version of Android it's running.  It'll be a big ugrade from her 2013 Moto X.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Phone Arena is likely listing the Google store version as that bootloader is unlockable. Honestly unless you are really into modification of the software most people don't need to unlock the bootloader.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

That isn't entirely correct Ann154. Verizon's 2013 Moto X was finally updated to Lollipop, my roomie's 2013 X received the update and I saw it with my own eyes, so please don't say I'm mistaken. The 2014 Moto X Pure Edition was updated to 6.0 Marshmallow though the Verizon and AT&T variants weren't. Motorola submitted the 2014 X to WiFi and bluetooth certifications and submitted a 6.0 software update for VZW to test. VZW said they would not be testing or issuing any software update for the X 2014 presumably since Moto wasn't selling the 2015 X through their retail channel. AT&T did the same thing. Moto andVZW have committed to updating the OG Turbo to Marshmallow, but it's been a very long time. Don't you find it interesting though how VZW isn't updating the 2014 X when they didn't have the opportunity to sell the 2015 X instore? Yet the OG Turbo is slated (on paper at Moto anyway) to get updated to Marshmallow (they sold the 2015 Turbo 2 instore). Kinda co-incidental.....

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Motorola made the decision to NOT update the carrier variants of the Moto X 2014. The carriers had nothing to do with the decision.

The wifi and Bluetooth certification updates are for only the unlocked GSM model of the Moto X 2014. The carrier variants have a different model number.

Also I wasn't referencing the Moto X 2013 in my previous post other than to say Motorola dropped support for it even though it was quite capable of getting another major system update just like 2014 model. I'm quite familiar with the what version of the OS is on both of Moto X 2014 and 2013 as I have used both of them and watched them both be updated to Lollipop 5.1.

You claim VZW has said something about the support of the phone. Provide the proof.

DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

I mis read your comments on the X 2013. I have seen a wifi certification for the VZW X 2014 on 6.0 and I cannot disclose a source, but was told that VZW would not be testing or issuing any 6.0 Marshmallow software updates for the X 2014 submitted by Motorola. (Moto had a 6.0 update ready to send to VZW for the X 2014). 

0 Likes