Droid Turbo Text Message Issues
rjoec3

My wife and I both have Droid Turbo phones. We do not have good service at our house so I dropped $250 on a Verizon Samsung network extender. I am unable to send or receive text messages while I am using the network extender with my WiFi turned on with either phone. I also noticed with the WiFi on, I am only getting 1x cell service with no 3G service through the network extender. If I turn off my WiFi I am able to send and receive text messages and the 3G service returns.Is there a setting in the Droid Turbo or Samsung network extender to get around this issue?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Turbo Text Message Issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thanks for the details rjoec3! We want to make sure that we have all the details so we can customize a solution for you. Can I assume that you have an unlimited text plan on your account? If so then that's great. When sending an MMS, the device has to connect to our network for properly functionality. Our devices are designed to work this way for documentation purposes. Keep in mind that even though MMS travels over the data network, you are not billed data from us by using the stock text/mms app. If you decide to use a 3rd party app for your MMS needs then data charges may be applicable when not on wifi. If you have any questions about this process then please share as we are here to help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Clearly this is not the wireless experience that we want you to have rjoec3! Let's partner together and get your service working once and for all! May I ask are you having issues with voice and data services? Is the issue only indoors? Since you are using a network extender, keep in mind that there are DSL data speed requirements to get the full potential from the device. If you can share the service provider that you have and the data speeds that you are getting then we can begin.
0 Likes
rjoec3

The issue occurs only when I am connected to my Verizon Samsung Network Extender. We do not have issues when using the phones at locations where there is cell service. We are not having any other voice or data service issues. My internet service provider is Armstrong Cable and my data speeds are 15 Mb/s download and 5 Mb/s upload. One thing to note is that we purchased the phones and the network extender in November and everything worked well. We have since then updated software on our phones and it no longer is working properly so it would lead me to think the issue is with the phones.

The scenario is with wifi on MMS text messages do not work in our house while connected to the Network Extender. With wifi turned off the MMS messages work normal. So my wife and I now turned off wifi on our phones and are eating through our data package which is annoying. Yesterday I found a messaging application called Textra that will temporarily disable the wifi while sending or receiving a MMS text message. While using this application I am able to keep the wifi turned on. This is not ideal because I purchased this phone to use the hangouts application.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thanks for the details rjoec3! We want to make sure that we have all the details so we can customize a solution for you. Can I assume that you have an unlimited text plan on your account? If so then that's great. When sending an MMS, the device has to connect to our network for properly functionality. Our devices are designed to work this way for documentation purposes. Keep in mind that even though MMS travels over the data network, you are not billed data from us by using the stock text/mms app. If you decide to use a 3rd party app for your MMS needs then data charges may be applicable when not on wifi. If you have any questions about this process then please share as we are here to help.
0 Likes
rjoec3

Yes, I have an unlimited text plan on both of my phones. I think you are missing the point on the data usage. We are turning off our wifi on the phones so they will function with the network extender. So all of the applications on the phones are using data instead of wifi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
rjoec3,

I really appreciate your clarification. Have you attempted a quick reset on the Network Extender by unplugging it from the power source and then restarting it? If not, please do so and let us know what your findings are.
SandyC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Brockpsu
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issues with receiving mms. You must turn wifi off to receive them while on the network extender, or download textra. In the mms settings of textra, there is an option for t-mobile wifi fix, and it will automatically turn off wifi when sending and receiving mms. Best option for you until we see an update from Verizon to fix. Good luck!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I know Advanced Calling doesn't work with the Extender either.

0 Likes