Droid to slow
burgan34
Enthusiast - Level 1

my droid razr is starting to be very slow when I click on text mess., to go to settings etc. do I need to reboot my phone are whats going on?

Labels (2)
Re: Droid to slow
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you could try rebooting your phone.  You also could try a system cache clear:

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lets show that phone who's boss, burgan34!

Is this still happening after the suggested reboot? It may be necessary to clear out some text messages, as the memory may become full. Keep me posted!

Thanks,
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
andyswanson1975
Enthusiast - Level 1

Worked!!

ashnickel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can get to the Android with the exclamation point but when I push the volume up/down simultaneously, nothing happens.  Wont leave the android on its side screen

0 Likes
ashnickel
Enthusiast - Level 2

5th times a charm.  I got it to work

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously to go into system recovery *

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

* if doesn't work:

press and hold the volume down and wait for a second or two, then press and hold the volume up and the volume down buttons for 5-6 seconds and then release

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I would also try running a Clearing of the Cache Partition..

0 Likes
gekko59
Enthusiast - Level 3

My XT912 DROID RAZR was growing significantly slower over time as well. I removed a lot of apps, including ones that I really would have liked to have kept using. I cleared the cache. I cleared the Dalvik.  Did everything suggested in this forum.

(Rooting discussion removed)

So I reluctantly went back to the stock Verizon/Motorola ROM (stuck forever at Jellybean 4.1.2, alas, yet another reason I wanted a new ROM).

And was faced with slowness that made the device almost unusable. It is REALLY awful to be in a dire situation where I have to try to dial my friggin' phone, only to have to wait for it to recognize that I invoked the dialer, then wait for it to recognize my search for the contact, or touching the numbers on the dialer screen.  Or doing a simple lookup. Or trying to get the map application running and sitting there idling my car waiting for everything to eventually get going.

I examined what processes were running, and noticed that one called "MotoCare" was hogging CPU and memory. I force closed it. Improvement immediately.  It popped back on again, and again my phone started to slow down.

(Rooting discussion removed) I was able to freeze the MotoCare app (after researching and learning it won't harm the basic phone operation to do so).

My phone is still not 100% as zippy as it had been when I first got it, nor when I was on the non-Moto/Verizon ROM, but it is much more usable.

Motorola and Verizon will not be pushing any more updates to this model, and it is out of warranty anyway, (Rooting discussion removed).  Others may not want to do that.

But.  When I shop for a new phone -- which will be within the next two months -- I will give careful consideration to NOT going with a Motorola phone for the first time in more than a dozen years, simply because of the bloatware like whatever "MotoCare" happens to be.  If Google/Motorola want to provide nice applications that are intended to help users, that's good, but they should ensure these apps do not suck up the phone's resources to the point where you can't even use it as a phone!

Rooting discussion removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ashnickel,

I apologize for the problems rebooting it. We definitely want to help get your phone up and running. There are a couple more steps to get the phone where we want it to be, first to press the Power Volume Down/Up keys, then the Volume keys will be used each one at a time (step 3-on). Please follow these steps and keep us posted http://vz.to/1cUSAXz .

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes