Dropped Calls in close proximity to tower
jrusk

Hi.

I posted this as a response to a similar post, but I'm not sure who may see it, so I'm reposting here.  Sorry for the duplication.

I have been having dropped calls in my home chronically since moving to my new house four years ago.  Zip code 37917.  Close to downtown Knoxville, TN.  Here's a brief summary of what's happened so far.  The reason for this post is I recently came across an ad for repeaters and outdoor and indoor antennas linked to the repeater, and I'm wondering if they really work - especially when they cost $500 plus.

Brief history of my actions and suggestions from Verizon techs.

1.  Initially bought and installed Samsung Range Extender in Aug 2008.  Been using it ever since.  Yes, I do have it set up correctly and have rebooted it multiple times over the years.

2.  Changed phones frequently - even paid full price for a couple of phones.  Here's a list of the phones that I have tried - may not be a comprehensive list - but even friends of mine on Verizon have issues connecting and dropping calls in and around my neighorhood and in my home.

Blackberry Pearl and Blackberry Curve

Storm

HTC Incredible

Motorola Razr Maxx

(There's probably others I can't remember)

3.  Contacted Tech Support so many times that I have been offered (before I purchased the Razr Maxx this past spring) that since I am in a "known trouble area" that I can opt out of my contract with no penalty. 

4.  I also have been told to contact Verizon Corporate in Atlanta to see if they can "specifically let me know when these issues are going to be addressed in my area".

I even have a Tier III+ trouble ticket and received from Corporate their generic response of "you can sign up at the link below for the newest products and services".

5.  I am, as the crow flies, less than two miles from the nearest Verizon cell tower.  I have been told that I am "too close" to the tower to receive consistent service.  Been told that the signal spreads out and I am actually underneath the signal.

I have  seriously considered leaving Verizon for another service (AT&T), but I have so much money invested in my phones, extender, accessories, etc., that I'm not sure it's worth switching, especially since I travel to rural areas and do get better service in those areas with Verizon than other carriers.

So back to my reason for posting this rant. Do outside antennas that link to an inside antenna and then to a repeater work?  And would it work in conjuction with my Samsung Range Extender?

(I will also include a summary of the explanation I provided to corporate last spring or summer and a summary of their response).

Thanks!!

Jeff

RE: Report Service Issue (WFM90584784)

Primary Subject: Network and Coverage

Secondary Subject: Report Service Issue

Message Body: TIER III+ Problem. KNOWN TROUBLE AREA

Told by tech support that this email needs to be forwarded to CORPORATE.

Have had longstanding dropped call/service issue in our neighborhood and
have been told its a known trouble spot, even though we are very close to
Verizon cell towers.

I have talked to numerous upper tier tech support/engineers over the last
three years with nothing resolved yet about dropped calls in my area, including
my home. I do have NETWORK EXTENDER.

I have been told I can get out of my service contract with no fee. I want to
avoid that, if possible, unless I can be reimbursed for all my equipment:
Network Extender, four smartphones including Samsung Charge that I paid full
price for, MiFI 4G LTE broadband, etc. unless they would all work with a
different network.

I have been Verizon customer since mid 1990s.

What I need to know is SPECIFICALLY what is being done to fix this issue in
my area, if anything, and what TIME FRAME am I looking at to have the issue
resolved. Otherwise, I will have to switch carriers.

Everything is logged on my Tech Support Screen log. Please review that and
respond to this.

Thank you.

THEIR RESPONSE IN PART:

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless Technical Support Website. We
apologize for the inconvenience with network access while using your Verizon
Wireless products and services. We are happy to assist you with your questions.

We apologize for the delayed response to your email and for any
inconvenience this may have caused. Verizon Wireless has a strong customer
commitment to delivering the best from our service and staff. We are
disappointed to hear the service you received did not reflect this commitment.
We'd appreciate the opportunity to restore your confidence in us and prove we
are worthy of your continued business. We would hate to lose a valued customer.

Thank you for providing details regarding your trouble and concerns. For
assistance with contacting our corporate office, please see the address below.

Verizon Wireless

PO Box 

GA 303

Additional information regarding your concern can be found below.

Verizon Wireless radio frequency (RF) engineers and system performance
engineers regularly evaluate network coverage and performance to identify
locations that may require additional coverage. Based on their analyses and
recommendations cell site construction or other improvements are then planned
and budgeted accordingly. Currently we are not aware of network changes within
the area specified. We truly apologize we are unable to provide specifics
regarding our network.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services,
please click on the "Sign Up" link located at the bottom of our
website below:

http://www.verizonwireless.com.....

We hope you find this information helpful. Other network tips and helpful
product information can be found at the link below:

http://support.verizonwireless.com.....

It has been a pleasure assisting you today. We make it our personal goal to
resolve all of your concerns. We sincerely hope that you feel we have done that
today. Should you feel your current concerns are not fully resolved, please
reply back to this email or call us at 1-800-922-0204 and we will happily
address them for you. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing
Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

(name omitted by me)

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Dropped Calls in close proximity to tower
Not applicable

A) Are you sure that tower is a Verizon tower?

B) What kind of housing do you have? Many people have brick houses and/or metal roofs which definitely would affect reception. My dad lives close to a tower, but he has aluminum siding and it affects the reception indoors greatly.

C) have you eliminated the possibility of any indoor RF interference?

D) How is the signal outside? If your problem is that the signal is "above" you then having an outside antenna connected to a repeater won't solve much since logically the signal would be "above' you outside too.

0 Likes
jrusk

Thanks for replying, Brian.

A - Yes, it is a Verizon tower about 1 1/2 miles as the crow flies.  I've been told there are other Verizon towers close by.

B - Housing is historic wood frame out (circ. 1890) that's been refurbished with blown foam insulation on exterior walls, dirt to highest point in the attic.

C - RF interference, I've had the problem ever since I moved here and have had different electronic devices in the home and have not explored that possibility completely.  But, I do get the Extender confirmation beep, and also have added another 4 hub router, with my main router being Apple Extreme with an additional Airport Express within the last year.

D - I also drop calls sitting on my front and back porch outside.  I am right next to Interstate 40, but actually below grade level of the traffic, so that's why I was wondering if I had a little more height if it would help.  Interestingly, when I am on I-40 right next to my house, the signal is strong and I don't drop calls - at least that I remember. 

Thanks again,

Jeff

0 Likes
Not applicable

jrusk wrote:

Thanks for replying, Brian.

D -   I am right next to Interstate 40, but actually below grade level of the traffic, so that's why I was wondering if I had a little more height if it would help.  Interestingly, when I am on I-40 right next to my house, the signal is strong and I don't drop calls - at least that I remember. 

I would hazard a guess that this is the issue. Not only are you below the road then there is the traffic too. I imagine any signal that gets that low gets interfered with by the traffic.

0 Likes