Error Message: Google Voice Typing cannot be activated in this context.
unaffiliated
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently got this Droid Maxx phone because my Motorola Droid phone crapped out after 3 years. When I go to send a text using voice typing (which I love because it is faster), I get an error message saying "Google Voice Typing cannot be activated in this context." I am not sure how to correct it. I use the 'Assist' app while driving which is great because I don't even have to look at the phone. I am not sure if that is interfering with the normal voice typing or not. It is driving me crazy.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Error Message: Google Voice Typing cannot be activated in this context.
Snn5
Legend

Most anyone on any Android phone who has experienced this error seems to find a solution by using an alternate keyboard.  Swype was the most mentioned alternative.  Seems to be related to Google Now.

unaffiliated
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did a little research and found that a lot of people are having this same problem. I found that when I reboot the phone, the Voice Typing works. I will have to see how long it works. I hate to have to do that every day. I normally leave my phone turned on 24/7.

unaffiliated
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I read about Swype. It seems like Google could just fix the problem if that many people are having it.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It might pertain to each phone's hardware setup as well, given mics and processing of the language.  So far, Motorola is the most effected it seems.  I might tend to think it has something to do with Moto Assist.  I have seen this happen whenever there are 2 voice processing apps running simultaneously.  For instance, LG Qvoice, Samsung Svoice,  and Google Now, or Motos always on listening combined with Google now.  Just a thought.

ntibeau
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found that this most often happens when i give my Droid Maxx the "ok google now" command.  It is after that when I find that I am unable to speak texts. If i reboot my phone then I can use google voice typing.

0 Likes
HateWhenMyPhoneBroke

My wife and I both have Motorola Maxx.  Recently,  we both get that error when we try to use voice typing after using assist to hear and reply to an incoming text. Have tried everything I can think of.  Rebooting only fixes it until next time assist is used. I have Swype keyboard.  She uses google keyboard.  Both affected.

0 Likes
HateWhenMyPhoneBroke

Although it has several other bugs, Version 4.5.13.19 arm is the last update that does not give the " Google voice typing cannot be activated in this context" error on Motorola Maxx. Doesn't matter which keyboard you use. The error happens after using Google app to send/receive texts. Does Motorola or Google ever read these reviews? Verizon? PLEASE FIX THIS! it's been months!

I deleted all the updates on the Google app and downloaded version from apk mirror site

0 Likes