Face Recognition on ICS is greyed out and can't use it.
gilkfrog

Does anyone know how to get the unlocks for the phone out of pin or password? All of the options in the Security settings are greyed out and I am not able to use them, or change from my pin based unlock to facial recognition.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Face Recognition on ICS is greyed out and can't use it.
jwk9
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the exact same problem.  In order to get the face unlock feature to work, I had to turn off all device and data encryption on the phone.  You can do this by going to Settings--->Security--->Data Encryption (that may not be the exact path, but you should be able to find it in the Settings menu).  Then, I had to uncheck all encryption options and reboot my phone to un-encrypt everything.  After the reboot, all unlocking options were enabled. If you use data encryption on the phone, the only option for unlocking the screen is using a PIN.  You'll have to weigh how much you want to use the feature vs. taking the risk of having an un-encrypted phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
melucero

According to Motorola, Seems your phone may be protected by your IT admin at work.  I use my phone to communicate with my company's servers, they made me download an app.  I working on it to see if I can diable it.  If I figure it out I wll let you know.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to get the most out of your device gilkfrog! Have you ever been able to use the feature? Here are instructions on how to use the feature: http://support.verizonwireless.com/video/devices/motorola/moto_razr_ics_face_unlock/index.html?sayt=... . Let us know if you are able to bypass the security in the options feature.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
melucero

Part II.

Okay.  I removed AFARIA APP, my company IT security.   Then I went to settings - security - device administrators and had only ADMIN NOTIFIER checked.   Nothing else should be there.   Restarted my phone and the face Recognition options were there not greyed out!   Have fun!

0 Likes
melucero

Part III

Once Face  lock is working, I reinstalled AFARIA.  Restarted Phone.   It still worked.   Next I went to settings - security - device administrators and clicked on AFARIA as well.   Result:  Worked Great.   So make sure you disable and uninstall  Company APP, in my case AFARIA, restart Phone,  setup Face Lock, reinstall company APP, restart phone.  Of course make sure the settings are set correctly.   Good Luck. 

0 Likes
gilkfrog

I tried the removing of my Security App and rebooting. This is not a work phone. The settings are still greyed out like before. This feature was the one feature I was looking forward to when ICS was updated to my phone. Since it was updated, the unlock features (all of them except Pin and Password) are all greyed out. I have Admin Notifier checked yet I can't find a way to make me the exclusive admin for my phone. I read somewhere sometime ago that the only way is to reflash my phone, which is something I do not want to do since this is already my third RAZR and getting it all set back up to my liking takes too much time. This is my last resource for this issue. I have checked through developer's sites and the only solution from them was to reinstall th OS. I have tried Verizon's customer service but noone knows the answer to my debacle. 

0 Likes
jwk9
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the exact same problem.  In order to get the face unlock feature to work, I had to turn off all device and data encryption on the phone.  You can do this by going to Settings--->Security--->Data Encryption (that may not be the exact path, but you should be able to find it in the Settings menu).  Then, I had to uncheck all encryption options and reboot my phone to un-encrypt everything.  After the reboot, all unlocking options were enabled. If you use data encryption on the phone, the only option for unlocking the screen is using a PIN.  You'll have to weigh how much you want to use the feature vs. taking the risk of having an un-encrypted phone.

0 Likes
gilkfrog

Thank you! That worked, now I have to weigh my options over encryption or not. That kind of sucks.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Good Info..

0 Likes
gilkfrog

This was a major pain and I am now looking for an update for ICS to enable the Face Unlock feature and have data encryption. After initiating Face Unlock on my RAZR, I tried to encrypt some of my stuff such as emails and contacts. When the phone rebooted it hung on the encrypting screen for hours @ 0%. I had to call Verizon and did a factory reset. Now I am trying to get the phone and accounts back to the way they were and it will take days to get it all back. As "jwk9" answered, you can't have cool features and encryption at the same time.

0 Likes