Freezing up....A LOT!
droidUser73

My new Droid Maxx has been freezing up, a lot.  Mostly while using Google navigate but also sometimes when just surfing the web.  I have to reboot using power/vol up/vol down simultaneously.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Freezing up....A LOT!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there droidUser73!

This definitely isn't a common concern for the Droid Maxx. Let's make sure we get your phone warmed up!

Just to clarify, does your phone become completely unusable forcing the alternate reboot? Please use your phone in Safe Mode: http://vz.to/1fXyjNk for a few hours using the same functions. Do you have the same results?

If you do experience the same results please try clearing the cache for these applications here: http://vz.to/1eC31xS

Please keep us posted!

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

B33
Legend

As melissaM pointed out it May be a 3rd party App and using Safe Mode might help but there are a few other things you can Try to help it from Freezing up try Running a System Cache Clear, followed by a couple power Resets. And you might try pulling the Sim after shutting down your phone for 10 min. then re-installing it.. this will allow the phone to re-establish with the Network but a NOTE of caution handle the Sim Card with Care Keep your hands clear of the Gold area of the Card touching the surface of it can put Oil from your Fingers on it plus in our bodies we carry some static electricity both can cause issues with the Card and with your phone..  b33

0 Likes
droid_does_life
Enthusiast - Level 3

My MAXX has just started freezing up lately, but I haven't had this problem previous to this week. I'm assuming I probably downloaded some app that's slowing it down, though, since the MAXX isn't known for mechanical difficulties. What I did was, I went through my apps and deleted anything I downloaded within the past week that I wasn't 100% sure about, or didn't use much. Then, I went to storage and cleared out a whole bunch of stuff that was using space. There was stuff in there that I didn't even recognize, like Music Manic, etc. I erased those and it cleared up a lot of space (and I'm sure got rid of some back-running app stuff in the process).

Then I went on to the Play Store and downloaded Clean Master, which is extremely simple to use...you can pick and choose what to clean, etc. It did a great job, and I haven't experienced this freezing problem anymore. I am an app junkie, so I'm sure it was just something running in the background that was messing with my baby (MAXX) haha. Try deleting content you don't need and free up space...it worked wonders for me! (Knock on wood) haha

0 Likes
krys9320

My Maxx is now lagging and freezing. It only last about 30 seconds to a minute then its ok for a few minutes. The first thing I noticed was while I was looking at photos in the gallery. It got stuck in landscape and the auto rotate would not work. I rebooted and unchecked/rechecked the auto rotate box and now it is portrait mode and will not auto rotate on apps or photos. Then I noticed that it was lagging/freezing. If I try to drag down the notification list it wont do anything. It just freezes for 30 sec to a min. Yesterday I tried clearing the catch. No help still freezing and auto rotate still not working. I have it safe mode now to try it for a while and see what happens. Also, this is my second maxx as my first one had to be warranty replaced. It was turned on and working fine when I laid it down, when I picked it up 20 min later it wouldnt do anything. If I plugged it in to the charger it would show the motorola screen and then go black repeatedly. It was stuck in a loop on boot up.I had only had it 3 weeks. Please help!! I dont want to have to do a factory reset!

0 Likes
droid_does_life
Enthusiast - Level 3

This sounds like a major pain in the butt. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Did you buy your phone from verizon.com or a certified corporate Verizon store? They are usually very willing to replace your phone and can help with transferring data, apps, pics, etc. As far as the phone freezing up, you're probably using too much RAM. Download a task killer from the app store (Advanced Task Killer is the one I use) and Clean Master. These apps will free up RAM.

Also, transfer gallery photos to your PC. They are using up too much memory for your phone and causing it to slow down.

Have you ever tried hard-booting the phone? Hold the power button and volume buttons down at the same time for about 15 seconds. The phone will hard-boot, which is sometimes necessary to get the thing to start behaving again. I hope this helped.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Then start with a power cycle then follow up with clearing of the Cache Partition..

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

droid.does.life wrote:

This sounds like a major pain in the butt. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Did you buy your phone from verizon.com or a certified corporate Verizon store? They are usually very willing to replace your phone and can help with transferring data, apps, pics, etc. As far as the phone freezing up, you're probably using too much RAM. Download a task killer from the app store (Advanced Task Killer is the one I use) and Clean Master. These apps will free up RAM.

Also, transfer gallery photos to your PC. They are using up too much memory for your phone and causing it to slow down.

Have you ever tried hard-booting the phone? Hold the power button and volume buttons down at the same time for about 15 seconds. The phone will hard-boot, which is sometimes necessary to get the thing to start behaving again. I hope this helped.

Freeing up RAM is the exact opposite of how Linux and the Android OS is designed to work. Read http://m.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care and uninstall that Task Killer!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.