GPS accuracy issue
Klingon2413

GPS accuracy issue. I have done a thorough test and noticed that using LOCATION > MODE > HIGH ACCURACY is actually the WORSE accuracy and that useing LOCATION > MODE > DEVICE (GPS ONLY) gives very accurate location results. It's like the menu is backwards. Anyone else notice this?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: GPS accuracy issue
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe the high accuracy is still using the cellular towers and wifi to locate while the gps uses the satellites.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Might also depend on how many apps are using Location Services simultaneously.  Some may require more precision data than others.

0 Likes
Klingon2413

I appreciate the thoughts...from looking at the data, it's obvious that HIGH ACCURACY is locked-on to the cell towers.. probably just doing triangulation. The GPS only route nails the location.  Now I wonder if I can write an app that sets the mode to GPS only! ... but I think that there is something wrong with the TURBO programming logic. It should know that under high-accuracy, that GPS is the most accurate... and that it should use Wi-Fi and cell locations only if GPS is unavailable (such as no access to the sky).  Thx again for the feedback!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I have often found that WiFi is the most accurate as the location info for routers matches an address better than GPS, at least when searching from indoors.

0 Likes