Going to Mexico............need help with data
KK4275
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am going on a cruise and we stop in Cozumel.I am meeting up with friends who will be there the same time.Rather than call,we'll just text........

I am not sure about what comes on when I turn the phone on........I am afraid I will start getting all sorts of automatic updates on my apps.

Is there something I can do,just so I can text and not get anything else???

Also,I know I can take pics without any charges,but if I send them to something like FB,I would be charged,right??

Sorry to sound so dumb,but guess I am when it comes to stuff like this.

I have a Motorola Droid RAZR...

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Going to Mexico............need help with data
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Do you have a GLOBAL phone? Which Razr do you have? And if you don't, does Mexico support non-global phones to begin with. e.g., we were in Italy a few months ago -- my Razr Max was unable to communicate except for WiFi only. There was no SIM available for me to swap to Global.  (which actually was a GOOD thing - because global plans are very very expensive!) Anyway, after you turn on your data just to be able to TEXT, it's ON - so anything 'pending' will likely generate a notification, or auto-download, like you feared. But even if you were somehow able to ignore until later the download notifications, TEXTING will likely be very expensive. You can check the Verizon site for charges while roaming internationally..   when we went to Italy, it was like $3.95 PER MINUTE !  They also offer base plans for a specific amount of data for a flat rate ... Last time I looked it was like $20 for a very small amount of data and went up from there.  Again, it's on the Verizon site.  Good luck ... Have fun in Mexico !

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I'm not sure if the Droid Razr is unlocked or you have to call Verizon to have it unlocked. Regardless, the cheapest for you would be to have it unlocked, if needed, so you can use a local SIM card. Problem with that would be you would have to get your local # to your friend in order to text back and forth. If you could get an international SIM prior to going, you could then get your number to your friend before leaving for Mexico, though. A good place to look for one might be Amazon.

Otherwise, you can enable your phone for global service thru Verizon. You can see the rates HERE. $0.99/minute for calling, $25/100MB data charge and $0.50/text sent and $0.05/text received.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

have you asked them what they are doing for thier phone while there?

0 Likes
KK4275
Enthusiast - Level 2

Doesnt matter what they are doing with their phones since we have different carries/phone companies.

Thanks for all the help........Im all set now

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It does matter if they will be using a local SIM. If they use a local SIM card, their US number will be unavailable and you will have to have the number associated with their local SIM card in order to communicate with them.

0 Likes