Hangouts APP can't remove it. How is this done?
1Grand

I downloaded the Hangouts APP which I find very annoying. I tried to remove it but have been unable to. How do I remove this app?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Hangouts APP can't remove it. How is this done?
rcschnoor
Legend

Hangouts is a Google app, which replaced Google Talk. You can go into settings > apps > and uninstall updates to Hangouts. This will NOT remove the app from the phone, though. It will simply revert you back to the stock Google Talk app, I believe. I believe Google Talk is a preloaded program from Google and you will not be able to remove this app, but you should be able to disable it in settings > apps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Hangouts is a Google app, which replaced Google Talk. You can go into settings > apps > and uninstall updates to Hangouts. This will NOT remove the app from the phone, though. It will simply revert you back to the stock Google Talk app, I believe. I believe Google Talk is a preloaded program from Google and you will not be able to remove this app, but you should be able to disable it in settings > apps.

0 Likes
keithterrill
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have gone into apps and uninstalled updates. It keeps showing in My Apps for Updates. I do now want it. How do I disable it so it won't keep requesting me to update it?

I have looked in settings->apps but it doesn't show up there. In fact, other than being on My Apps in the App Store screen I do not have it showing up at all.

Any help?

0 Likes
jamilynm
Enthusiast - Level 3

My now worthless phone just updated and installed a bunch of apps - without any permissions given.   I don't want this hangouts, but can't et rid of the icon at top of screen without touching to activate it.   Like the KK update didn't suck hard enough...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your efforts keithterrill! Some applications are not removable and that is the case with the Play Store and other native apps. I apologize for the inconvenience. However, you may be able to disable many applications if you go to settings>applications>all and then select the apps you want to disable.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Thanks for your efforts keithterrill! Some applications are not removable and that is the case with the Play Store and other native apps. I apologize for the inconvenience. However, you may be able to disable many applications if you go to settings>applications>all and then select the apps you want to disable.

AntonioC_VZW

His question was answered in remove or disable hangouts

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

keithterrill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann154 wrote:

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

AntonioC_VZW

His question was answered in remove or disable hangouts

Ann154, this is the kind of support I am used to from Verizon. It is late, after the fact, and demonstrable that they did not read or comprehend the full dialog thread... at lest from where I jumped in. If they had they would have not said, "However, you may be able to disable many applications if you go to settings>applications>all and then select the apps you want to disable." Especially, since the problem I expressed was my frustration in not finding the app listed in the list. But, Thanks to you (and a credit to rcschoonr for agreement with you), we were able to get the job done. (Do I need to add, "Without any help from Verizon?")

Also, why did they "apologize for the inconvenience"? Are they admitting that it is a mistake or that it is wrong to force apps that we don't want on to us?

LAST NOTE: THIS IS A RHETORICAL NOTE OF APPRECIATION AND FEED BACK TO Ann154 AND I DO NOT EXPECT ANY RESPONSE FROM THIS.

0 Likes