How can Verizon determine what files to lock?
joebeaster

I had a phone that was buggy, so I contacted technical support.  I was told that the best thing to do was a factory reset, which I never want to do.  I was assured by the rep that all the files I upload to the cloud would be downloaded back to the phone after the factory reset.  There were photos and videos I had taken, some personal, some for business, and some involving a legal issue I am currently battling.  I also had several music files I had downloaded from my computer.

When I restored the cloud, none of the photos, videos, or music files transferred back to the phone, and to top it off, all my messages are now marked "unread" so all the messages I uploaded have to be individually opened so they are marked properly.  I contacted customer service and spoke with a supervisor about my issue and was told that she "did not understand why the photos and videos did not download, but the music is licensed and by law they are automatically locked when uploaded into the cloud."  I had downloaded some music from the web, that I do admit, but the majority was loaded from discs I had purchased.  I took time selecting certain songs while leaving the remaining songs on the computer, which took several hours of time to complete.  These songs came from discs I paid for, yet Verizon has taken ownership of my files by locking them.  I am peeved that the photos and videos are gone, or I am not sure why those did not download, but the music files?  To put those back on my phone would take several hours once again, this is my time  and my time is valuable.  The songs, well, the majority, at least 90% are my files, there are no license or copyright infringements.  The videos and photos, I have no idea whether or not those can be recovered, but they would not download from the cloud.  Where is the liability?  How can Verizon determine what is owned and what is downloaded from a website?  More importantly, what gives Verizon the right to determine what files to lock, what data to take?  I need those photos and videos and the music can be downloaded, but it took hours to select the music I wanted on my phone and I don't think it is reasonable for Verizon to make me go through the process all over again, is out time not worth anything to Verizon?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: How can Verizon determine what files to lock?
NJMagicman
Contributor - Level 2

What that supervisor told you is just wrong.  You can download any of your content that you have in the cloud.  The music locks only prevent you from sharing that song using their sharing.  I know this is correct because I just downloaded a song I had in the cloud to my phone and played it on my phone.  I also routinely download photos.

How were you trying to restore the cloud content?  I use the download where I click on the things I want to download.

0 Likes
Raevan
Enthusiast - Level 1

can you please confirm how to set ringtones from my music I just download from the cloud

0 Likes
Raevan
Enthusiast - Level 1

it is obvious Verizon cloud is THE WORST!!

I did not want my data or information in the stupid CLOUD!

IT WAS BACKING UP EVERY HOUR AND I NEVER REQUESTED THAT!!

NOW THE CLOUD HAS TAKEN MY MUSIC AND LOCKED IT!!

ALL MY PLAYLIST ARE GONE!!

THIS IS RIDICULOUS AND A DEAL KILLER FOR ME.

I WILL BE LOOKING FOR A NEW CARRIER IF I DONT GET A RESPONSE BACK!!!

0 Likes