How do I check whether 3rd party apps are impacting my device's performance?
leash712

I have had a razr for almost 2 years now and have had it replaced multiple times for lagging and slowness.  I had not checked this website before, I have always just gone to the Verizon Store or called Tech Support. I did clear the cache and it's noticeably faster right this second.  Yesterday my RAM was in the 750 ranged, since I just cleared the cache its 541.  I am still convinced that there is an app causing my issue since it's always a matter of time before it returns.  Is there a way to check app performance besides running it safe mode because honestly I would like to cut right to the chase.  I notice small changes quickly and I don't understand why this has been such a battle.  Of course, I also don't understand why the store and phone support never mentioned anything besides factory reset, do you know how time consuming it becomes?!  I do not have task killers, battery savers, or anything like that since VZW always said they cause issues.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Best way to check 3rd party app
Montel2
Enthusiast - Level 3

A method of checking apps is to look at memory usage of all running apps. I keep notifications from social and news media apps to a minimum. If you synchronize your contacts with FB, that uses memory as well. One app that does help with space / memory management is Clean Master. it frees memory and also removes file fragments left behind after updates.

You could also clear the system cache:

Wipe Cache Partition - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA

Performing a wipe cache partition will remove any temporary files that may be causing an issue with the device. All personal files and settings will not be affected by this option.

1. Power the device off.
    Press the Power button then select Power off.
    If the device doesn't respond to input, press and hold the Volume Up / Down then press and hold Power button. When the device screen goes blank, release the Power button while continuing to hold Volume Up / Down then proceed with step 3.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up / Down then press the Power button.
  3. When presented with the Boot Mode Selection Menu, release all buttons.
  4. Press Volume Down to select Recovery then press Volume Up.
  5. From the Droid triage screen:
    1. Press and hold Volume down.
    2. Press and release Volume up.
    3. Release Volume down.
  6. Select wipe cache partition then press the Power button.
    Use Volume keys to navigate options.
  7. Select reboot system now then press the Power button.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
leash712

I am already up to 590 and I haven't used my phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

leash712, we appreciate your patience and allowing us to assist with this ongoing device issue. With android devices, you have the ability to download various 3rd party applications from the Google Play Market. However, some applications software can affect the performance of your device. Unfortunately, there's not an application or way to verify if an issue is problematic before downloading it. Approximately, how many applications have you downloaded to your device? Try uninstalling a few applications and power your device off/on to soft reset. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Montel2
Enthusiast - Level 3

A method of checking apps is to look at memory usage of all running apps. I keep notifications from social and news media apps to a minimum. If you synchronize your contacts with FB, that uses memory as well. One app that does help with space / memory management is Clean Master. it frees memory and also removes file fragments left behind after updates.

You could also clear the system cache:

Wipe Cache Partition - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA

Performing a wipe cache partition will remove any temporary files that may be causing an issue with the device. All personal files and settings will not be affected by this option.

1. Power the device off.
    Press the Power button then select Power off.
    If the device doesn't respond to input, press and hold the Volume Up / Down then press and hold Power button. When the device screen goes blank, release the Power button while continuing to hold Volume Up / Down then proceed with step 3.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up / Down then press the Power button.
  3. When presented with the Boot Mode Selection Menu, release all buttons.
  4. Press Volume Down to select Recovery then press Volume Up.
  5. From the Droid triage screen:
    1. Press and hold Volume down.
    2. Press and release Volume up.
    3. Release Volume down.
  6. Select wipe cache partition then press the Power button.
  7. Select reboot system now then press the Power button.
0 Likes