How do I fix a droid 2 turbo that has a grey static screen?
bertolo1988
Enthusiast - Level 2

My droid turbo 2 randomly started giving me a grey static display on my screen.  I cannot see anything but grey static.  The operating system is still running because I can use my voice commands to have it do stuff and if I get lucky I can tell it to play pandora and guess the right spot for the skip button.  I tried restoring while keeping data,  that didn't work so I restored and wiped data and it still doesn't work.  This happened just when the 6.0 came out.   What should I do?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I fix a droid 2 turbo that has a grey static screen?
rdnelson99
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good news.  I stopped at the store where I purchased it in hopes they could tell me if it was software or hardware.  That is all I was expecting.  While I was describing the issue, the guy was typing in his tablet, I assumed he was taking notes.  When I finished describing the issue, he said "The digitizer is bad, I have ordered you a new phone.  Should be in your mail box in about 3 days."  Within 2 hours, I had a notification that it had shipped with a tracking number.  Got to say, that is impressive customer service. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rdnelson99
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue and as you said, it started right after 6.0.  Driving me nuts and making a brand new phone useless.

0 Likes
crmag86

Same problem here.  Phone overheated in my pocket while I was in Church for Easter Sunday.  I ignored it and haven't seen my screen since.  My screen is black for the most part but will become grey randomly.  Moto still works so I can do a few commands still but wasn't a huge fan of the voice commands before this so I don't know much.  Any News on a fix?

0 Likes
bertolo1988
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem is that the display chip(video card) is frying itself out after the update.  Basically think of the red ring of death for the xbox 360,  and that's what's happening to the droid turbo 2s.  There is no fix for it per software update ect,  if you are extremely tech savvy you can attempt to solder a new chip on but that's up to you,  no reason to do that when you can get one that's done already for free.

you must contact the motorola manufacture warranty office and talk to them.  They will go over the procedures on hard resetting and such with you until they determine that your phone is screwed.  After that they will begin getting your order setup and shipped.

OR

You can go into a verizon store at any time the store is open(motorola closes at 5PM EST) and have them go through everything with motorola so all you have to do is sit there for about 30-45 minutes.

after either one of these options you have are completed your new phone will be SHIPPED(motorola won't let the store just give you one of their new ones because the warranty only gets you a certified like new replacement) by 1 day shipping.

0 Likes
rdnelson99
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good news.  I stopped at the store where I purchased it in hopes they could tell me if it was software or hardware.  That is all I was expecting.  While I was describing the issue, the guy was typing in his tablet, I assumed he was taking notes.  When I finished describing the issue, he said "The digitizer is bad, I have ordered you a new phone.  Should be in your mail box in about 3 days."  Within 2 hours, I had a notification that it had shipped with a tracking number.  Got to say, that is impressive customer service. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't forget you have to send in your bad phone to the address given in the package with the warranty replacement they are sending you.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes