ICS Upgrade killed battery life by hogging CPU usage
GenePayne

Yesterday I upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich on my Droid RAZR. The phone's battery life has been drastically reduced, and it runs very hot.

I believe the cause is a process that is wasting CPU time.

I have watched the processes running on the phone. There is always a single process that takes up a minimum of 50% of the CPU time. Usually this is the "omadrm" process, but sometimes it is the "Download Manager" process. Neither one of these should be using any CPU time, since I'm not doing anything with them.

I've tried killing the offending process, but won't it won't stay dead (either that or something else keeps resurrecting it every time I kill it).

I've tried rebooting multiple times, but the system always restarts with this greedy process running.

Any ideas for fixing this? My only option right now is to leave the phone in low power mode. Even with the screen off, it is lucky to last two hours on a battery charge.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: ICS Upgrade killed battery life by hogging CPU usage
spurs21
Contributor - Level 1

My battery life has been better since my phone went dead after a phone call 2 days ago, and had to do a hard reset of the phone to power it back on . Right now I'm a 70% after 1.5 days, and that's with streaming slacker radio yesterday for 4 hours on this charge.

0 Likes
PHILTHY

Same thing here I have tried everything and do not want to do a hard reset. this sucks also lost the option for the phone to lock once i put it in the case. not happy

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Mine Maxx is running about the Same as Jims Just Checked her on this last Charge and light Use it showed 2 days 5 Hours and i still have about 30 to 40% battery..

0 Likes
ICS Upgrade killed battery life by hogging CPU usage
GenePayne

After a few days of having this problem, it looks like this behavior stopped and my phone is working well. It no longer runs hot and the battery life is sane again.

0 Likes