ICS causes razr maxx to run extremely hot and slows email sync
ac2012

I have a problem with ICS and it's mail app running extremely slow and causing the phone to heat up so hot you can't hold it.  Here is what I have experienced.

I did a factory reset yesterday then shortly after updated my Razr Maxx to ICS (I know I didn't have to do the FR, but I wanted to start from scratch).  I setup my Gmail, corporate mail, Facebook and Twitter.  Those were the only apps I had syncing.  I noticed the phone seemed to be running extremely hot, but chalked it up to having the screen on for an extended period of time while playing with ICS (although I've streamed Netflix for hours under Gingerbread and never had the phone get this hot).

Anyway, today I was checking my corporate mail and was receiving new messages (again the phone was really hot and I was hardly using it).  Then suddenly the mail app froze and all the messages disappeared.  I hit the sync button in the mail app and the messages started to crawl in, extremely slow.  45mins went by and I still didn't have my current messages (I only sync two weeks worth).  And again the phone was extremely hot.

I did another factory reset on my phone and left it sitting (plugged into the wall outlet to charge) for an hour.  It cooled down and remained cool.  Then I setup ONLY my corporate email (no Gmail, no Facebook, no Twitter)  I did not download a single additional app or even install any updates (which it wouldn't do anyway because I haven't logged in with my Gmail account yet)

I set my corporate email to sync 2 weeks of mail, calendar and contacts.  Once again my Razr Maxx is EXTREMELY hot and the two weeks of messages have been syncing for over an hour and have only reached one week's worth.  I have a 4G connection full bars (same as I had under Gingerbread).

It seems to me there is some issue with the ICS mail app on the Razr Max.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: ICS causes razr maxx to run extremely hot and slows email sync
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

The only email problem I am having is when an email that has been formatted for a wider screen (ie for a computer) will not automatically reformat for my mobile screen leaving me to have to turn it landscape or scroll left and right.  But I do not have my corporate email coming into my phone.  My POP3 is working fine as well as Gmail (Yahoo! is only giving me the formatting problem).

0 Likes
cjkeller

Mine has been extremely hot since upgrading to ICS today.  It gets so hot (from not using it) that I can't hold it to my ear during a conversation and can barely hold it in my hand.  I killed some Verizon services that run in the background which seemed to help, but shouldn't need to do this since they start on their own at random intervals and when the device is rebooted. Also, my Gmail is working fine and I don't use my device for corporate email.

0 Likes
ac2012

I can't turn off my email sync right now, but tomorrow while I am at work I am going to turn off the data sync on my corporate email and leave the phone sitting on my desk (basically doing nothing but waiting for phone calls).  I usually have full bars\4G at my desk.  It'll be interesting to see if the phone cools down or if the battery still drains like crazy.

Also, I read that ICS enables full support for dual core CPUs.  That could account for the extra heat and battery usage, however the phone ran fine under Gingerbread and it's SO HOT I would choose to loose the dual core support.  At this point there's no way I could make a phone call without burning my ear and forget about putting it in my pocket.

0 Likes
ac2012

Here's an update to the issues I have with ICS.  Yesterday I started with my phone fully charged.  I still have nothing installed but the stock apps and the only account I have setup is my Corporate email (which is syncing with Exchange 2003).

I left my phone sitting on my desk all day.  I rarely turned on the screen (the battery utility shows the screen was on for a total of 23mins all day) and took no phone call on it.  All the phone did was sync my Corporate email (for which I received a normal amount).  I had a 4G connection all day (except for a few hours when I was in the subway) By the end of the day 60% of the battery was used.  The battery utility reported the screen and Exchange were the biggest battery users.

By comparison, under Gingerbread, I would have Corporate email, Gmail, Hotmail, Facebook, Google+, Twitter all syncing all day.  Plus I spent about an hour a day browsing the web and reading news feeds.  Also, I would have 4G connection all day (except for a few hours when I was in the subway).  By the end of the day my battery would be around 40% used.

So basically ICS has turned my Razr Maxx into the terrible HTC Incredible I used to have.  I could not make it a day on that phone.   If I enable all the features\apps I had before my battery on my Razr Maxx would be drained before the end of the day.

I am calling Verizon support, to see if I can roll back to Gingerbread.  I can not believe how horrid ICS is.

0 Likes
cjkeller

Since doing a FR on my device after upgrading to ICS, all has been well for me.  Sorry you're not getting the same luck as I did.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That sounds very frustrating ac2012!  I would like to help.  Tell me, when testing, was GPS enabled on your device?  If so, please test with the GPS disabled http://bit.ly/LvhIHJ for a day, and let me know the results.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
D_A

Even I face a similar issue, phone gets hot plus excessive usage of RAM by the apps. This slows down my phone terribly. Need to use the task killer every now and then. Never faced this issue with earlier version of Android. Should i do a FR after ICS installation??

0 Likes
ac2012

Thank you for your reply Anthony.  My GPS is not on.  I never turn it on unless I am plugged into a power source and I have not turned it on at all since I upgraded to ICS.  Also, I did turn on my WiFi to test connectivity to my home network, however Wifi has also been turned off since my initial test.

0 Likes
ac2012

D_A, I would recommend doing a FC after upgrading to ICS, the FC does seem to help a little.  However, I don't think your phone will ever be as good on battery life as it was on Gingerbread.

0 Likes