Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 6,957 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Icons from deleted apps mysteriously appear on home screen
DavidW1820

I had been using Nova Prime free launcher for a few weeks and  decided to go back to stock Motoblur to gain access to the circles  widget and quick settings. Otherwise I would have kept it. I think the  battery life is bit better with stock and not having to have 3 separate  widgets for clock, battery, weather, and quick settings. Anyway, I did a  cache wipe and have added and deleted a few apps over the last few days  and have periodically noticed a lone icon parked on an unused spot on  my home screen that's an app I've deleted. You touch it and it says app  deleted so I get rid of the icon. But different icons have popped up in a  similar fashion. Only one at a time and when you look in the app drawer  you see that the icon for the deleted program is indeed not there  either. Very strange. So, short of a complete factory reset is there  anything that can eliminate this from happening again?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Icons from deleted apps mysteriously appear on home screen
DavidW1820

Oh this is a Razr Maxx HD with the latest verizon build 9.18.79 XT926 (Android 4.1.2)

0 Likes
DavidW1820

Update. Now every time I reboot my phone a different icon duplicate appears in a blank spot on one of my home screens. I delete it and a different one appears next time.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you contacted the developer to verify that it isn't a bug in the launcher?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear DavidW1820,

Good afternoon. I know how important it is to ensure your phone is working properly. After researching your icon concerns, I verified that this is not a known issue. Allow us to get to the bottom of your equipment concerns.

So that we can provide accurate troubleshooting steps I have a few questions. What software verison do you have on your phone? To check the software on your phone click http://vz.to/1dhnC9R Also, which applications are you trying to remove from your phone? Apps that come with the device can not be deleted. We look forward to hearing from you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
DavidW1820

If you scrolled up I stated which version it was. Anyway, per Ann 154, I think it was some kind of bug in the Nova Prime launcher which corrupted the stock motoblur launcher. I have not contacted the Nova developers yet. I did a factory data reset yesterday which solved the problem. I was hoping to avoid it but there really was no other option. FYI, the bug only seemed to affect the 4th home screen. So various widgets placed on it would get bumped off by these ghost icons every time I rebooted the phone. The mystery lives on but I fixed the problem with a FDR.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DavidW1820, good job at solving the mystery. It appears that the software update may have affected the performance of your device. We're relieved to hear that the factory data reset solved the problem. Hard resets usually do since it removes any potential software issue on your device. For more device support, click. http://bit.ly/y5iuoj

Lasina_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes