Identical Razrs one gets 4g one does not in the same location.
makoshark

I have two Droid Razrs bought and set up the same day.  My wife and I can be in the same place, literally within feet of each other, even with the phones touching (don't get hung up on that), hers will get 4g with several bars, mine will not even get 3gs or if it does maybe one bar. Anyone have any solutions to this problem? And please no one, especially from Verizon, start out be saying you understand my frustration unless you live with two such phones. I pay enough a month.  I want a solution not a bunch of "try this plan(s)" recommended to keep me out of their hair. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Identical Razrs one gets 4g one does not in the same location.
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Have you tried a new SIM card?

0 Likes
makoshark

I may try the store early in the week.  I have not tried a new sims card.  Not sure what that will do. Both phones sims were the same age, transfered to the Razrs the same day.  The phones, except for some game apps, are set up the same way.

Of late I have been fundamentally upset with most customer service from the big corporations I deal with in the technology business.  I will spend days playing on forums, chatting, and generally getting no where. Or my favorite it is my fault because of something I did and so "what did you do right before this happened?"  Only to do a detailed google or bing search and to find out I am not the only one with the same problem.  If you look over the verizon forums there are others with duplicate phones, bought the same day, where one gets 4G and the other does not.

Again paying what I do each year, I would have stayed with T-Mobile without a contract and probably been much happier. 

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Sometimes SIM cards go bad, and it doesn't

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Necessarily have anything to do with age. Also, just because they are the same phone doesn't necessarily mean they are identical. They may be from different batches, using some differing components.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I agree with demmo86rt. There could be part variance.

Things possibly worth trying:

a). Remove any sort of shell on the phone that isn't indicating 4G reception. Use just the back that came with the phone. Does that equalize things?

b). Next, try swapping the backs of the two phones. Does the other phone get better reception now? I think it's possible that phone backs that don't fit properly may negatively impact reception.

c). This is rather drastic, but possibly worth it. Back up the lesser phone's contacts and write down the email settings, backup any important files onto a PC. Now perform a Factory Data Reset.

0 Likes
makoshark

I tried taking them both out of their protective cases, no difference. I believe the phones are consecutive serial numbers but I have to check again. The only difference besides various apps, is under about phone the Baseband versions are different since they updated the OS on two separate days, Mine reads CDMA_N_05.11.01P; the other reads CDMA_N_05.11.0PLTEDC_U_09.11.00   To some those might look so close as not to realize they are different but world of digital that many additional numbers and letters means something, though the numbers may have nothing to do with the problem.  The last to suggestions are a little critical at this point. 

I am still not sure why the SIM cards would be not allowing one phone to get 4G but still get 3G.  Though I may have been in the digital came for a while SIM cards still are not one of my areas of expertise.

It also doesn't explain that there are other folks on the forums with identical phones that have the same problem. They don't have Motorala Razrs some other phones.  They had the SIMS changed to no avail apparently.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I'v Seen this on my Maxx's as well usually what i do if they don't kick the Signal on right away i'l power cycle the battery or Soft reset Using Motorola's Restore Connectivity seem's to help as Well. One other thing one can try is go to Settings --> Data --> Tap Mobile Data of then Waite a Few min. and Tap it back on See if that helps:  that's what i'v done Smiley Happy b33

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I think you are on to something. If they are consequtive SNs, they are simply not the same - simply they aren't running the same SW. Did you call Tech Support?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

stef7 you cannot pull the back covers on a Razr or Razr Maxx in doing so will Void the Warranty..

0 Likes