Is the Driod Raxr (XT912) phone unlocked to work in Europe (globally)?
abbrunso
Enthusiast - Level 2

All / Kathleen, KBG

I have a Driod Raxr (XT912) that we have with Verizon and is currently not being used at this time.

I have to have internet service (3G) to check into regional flights within Europe.

My understanding is that this phone is locked for US carriers (GSM) but unlocked for international use (GSM).   I don't exactly understand sine they are both GSM, unless it has to do with the antenna frequencies. Can someone please confirm?

If I buy a local prepaid SIM card (TIM, TRE, WIND) in Europe, will it work in the Driod Razr (XT912).

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is the Driod Raxr (XT912) phone unlocked to work in Europe (globally)?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate your interest in using your device overseas abbrunso. Sounds like a great trip! 4G smartphones like the Droid Razr are already unlocked for international use. Here is additional information regarding our available global services. http://vz.to/17KseUf

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate your interest in using your device overseas abbrunso. Sounds like a great trip! 4G smartphones like the Droid Razr are already unlocked for international use. Here is additional information regarding our available global services. http://vz.to/17KseUf

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
donutking1

I just got back from Ireland, bought a local SIM and it worked for calls, probably would for text, but it would not connect for data.  I tried all kinds of settings, had 3 different cell phone providers try, and none could get data working.  I'm wondering if there is some "switch" or setting needed to turn on data.  If you want phone only, it should work.  For data, I didn't get it going and had to revert to an older HTC I brought as a backup.

Wondering also if anyone has been able to get data working overseas with a different SIM then their one from Verizon.

0 Likes
abbrunso
Enthusiast - Level 2

donutking1

Sorry for for the delayed response.   We bought a local SIM card from TIM and bought a plan for minutes and data. I was skeptical based on your above comment,  After activation, we were receiving / making calls almost immediately.  Data was a problem, we spent nearly three days trying to get this to work.   A guy in the TIM store took the phone and (I assume) changed some settings and assured us that it would work... It didn't immediately.  My husband changed a setting (possibly one the in-store guy missed) and the phone was data enabled!

So, it is possible with this phone.   I just don't know what settings changed to make it work.

-BB

0 Likes