Issues with RAZR MAXX HD - Shut down while charging
StillwaterEMT42

I upgraded to the RAZR MAXX HD about a month ago - Love it. Once last month, I had an issue where I plugged the phone in at night, and it was off by morning. I was late for work (no alarm) and my Sgt. was not very happy. I did the reset (PWR + VOL DOWN) and the phone turned back on. It was fine for about 3 weeks, and this past week, it has done it every single night, and even during the day if I plug it in. I tried everything, safe mode, factory reset, soft resets. I am currently trying to do the battery calibration, but I contacted Verizon and they are sending me a refurb. (which I'm not happy about)

Did I make the right decision by saying the phone may just be defective?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Issues with RAZR MAXX HD - Shut down while charging
Shphilli

I have a similar problem with my new Maxx.  The first night I had it plugged into the charger and it shut off by itself during the night.  It would not turn on with the power button, but with the power/volume down button it did come back on.  The next night I did not have it on the charger and it did it again.  The next night, it happened earlier in the evening while on the charger.  Each time, I had to do the power/volume down button to get it back on.  This morning it would not come out of sleep mode, even though the message indicator light was flashing.  Again the power/volume down button had to be used to get it to come back on.

After the first night I had turned off my Smart Actions to see if that was a cause.  After some research online I have seen others with similar issues, but no one seems to have found a solution.  Not sure if I should return it as I am still within my 14 days?

0 Likes
StillwaterEMT42

I am in the same boat. Refurb comes tomorrow and I don't know whether I want to ship away my 1 month old new phone for a refurb...when there may possibly be a solution. 😕

0 Likes
butcher420

I have had my RAZR MAXX HD for about 6 weeks. Mine doesn't only power off while charging, but also in mid day....unacceptable.I will not accept a refurbished phone since I paid for a new 1 .I am willing to try a new phone, but if same issues, I will switch phones. I love the phone and the battery life, but this issue is frustrating. Please let me know if you make any progress. This issue has caused me to miss alarms, calls and important messages.Thanks.

0 Likes
Not applicable

take my advice, run back to the verizon store etc. and return it now. However you will pay a $35 restocking fee. but at least you won't have more problems down the road.

cancel everything contract etc.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Not applicable

you will not get a new phone and verizon has you locked into a 2 year contract unless you paid full price.

if you had or have insurance you can replace it that way, but I believe they to are refurbished.

Also be careful sending the unit back take dated and time photos from all angles of your phone, take a photo of the charging ports and head phone port. (verizon likes to say its water damage) and charge you $300

Also package the carton securely and weigh the package. Take a photo of the phone in the box with packaging. (verizon likes to say they never received your old phone or the carton was empty)

Additionally I know this costs you money, but I would take their return label and go to a UPS location and have them make a address label from the address label they provided and UPS weighs their packages and buy the insurance for the full value of the phone and take a photo of the completed package and UPS will give you a receipt with a tracking number.

it is better to be proactive then reactive since many are posting their nightmare with claims of missing, lost, water damaged cell phones.

Good Luck

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Your Past your 14 Days of Return you won't get a brand New phone unless your Lucky more in Likely it will be a C.G.A.N or basically a Refurbished one).  I'm a little fuzzy on reading your Post you said something about powering off in my 6 years of owning Smartphones and my more than 20 years of owning cell phones in General). I have when giving suggestion on charging have always said it's best to charge a phone off that means power it Down charge it with the OEM charger that came with it the one in the Box never charge it VIA a Computer Some people do i'm not one of them.. I'v  never had and issue with my batteries or my chargers most of them are Motorola.. 

0 Likes
Lisarobin44

The smartactions actually FRIED my phone.  I sent it to Motorola, they did not fix it.  They sent it back saying all was good.  It would not even activate.  I got lucky and got a new refurbished (someone returned it) and all was fine UNTIL I turned on the the smartactions again.  That was the ONLY common thread.  Then battery was draining, other problems arose.  I did Factory reset and all is working fine.  The battery has NEVER lasted the way my original phone did (2-3 days) but usually lasts at least 1 1/2 days.and that is with it on overnight.  Since the last update it will drain about 5% overnight in sleep mode.   Yesterday I did a battery recalibration.  I will let you know if it fixes the battery issue.  A Verizon technician told me about the smartactions!

0 Likes