Keeps freezing up
TParis
Enthusiast - Level 1

My turbo keeps freezing up and I have to do a hard reset on it I've had to do it atleast 4 times today it was fine till they did the updates lastnight

Labels (2)
Re: Keeps freezing up
rksilliw17

Mine is doing the same, but not as frequently.  It will freeze, not notify me of messages or calls, and I have to hold the power button until it restarts. I've had it for just over two weeks....Verizon???  Motorola???  Help Please!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi TParis!

Let's see what's causing the problem! Have you recently downloaded any new applications?

Thanks,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rksiliw17,

Sorry to see that the Turbo is freezing and not showing those notifications. Has the notification trouble been constant or intermittent? Press and hold the Power button (at the right edge of the device; above the Volume buttons) until the options menu appears then release. Touch and hold Power off until the "Reboot to safe mode" prompt appears (approximately 1 second). From the "Reboot to safe mode" prompt, tap OK to confirm. Upon reboot, "Safe mode" appears in the lower left of the unlock/home screen. Does either problem persist when the device is in Safe Mode?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
NCRomans

I'm having the same issue. On two consecutive mornings, I have the phone freeze where the top 1/7 of the screen scrambles and the phone is inactive. I had to hold the power button to force a restart today, while yesterday the phone eventually restarted itself as I was panicking to figure out what happened. I cannot replicate the problem in or out of safemode. I was using two different apps at the time of each crash. I would link it back to an app, but the freezes have been 1.5 hours difference. Today I was using a third party heart rate monitor app (more accurate than my wife's S5, btw); yesterday froze using Google Play Music.

Because I installed the bulk of all my apps on day 2 of owning the device, and crashes didn't start until day 4, I'm more concerned that this is a hardware issue ... possibly a bad RAM issue.

Edit #1: I wanted to stress that the device was purchased new on 11/28/14 ... Device is 5 days old.
Droid_Turbo_Crash.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NCRomans, we don't want this to be an ongoing issue for you. Soon after getting this phone, did you retrieve a software update?

Based on the details that you've provided, it sounds like a 3rd party application that you downloaded may be causing this issue. Try uninstalling applications one at a time in Settings to see if the issue persists. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes
NCRomans

Thanks for the response, Lasina. Yes, I did receive and apply the software update.

Unfortunately, I do not believe this to be caused by 3rd party applications. When trying to research the problem on your site, I followed the procedure to boot the phone in Safe Mode. I experienced the crash again hours later. On a separate issue, I have also been experiencing service loss while using the Turbo Charger.

This is unacceptable on a device that is brand new. I'm reluctant to return the device at the risk of getting another lemon, and was told by a CSR last night that'd I'd be responsible for the $35 restock fee, defective unit or not. Unacceptable, Verizon Wireless Customer Support.

0 Likes
shinagahoo
Enthusiast - Level 1

My wife and I both got new turbos about 30 days ago.  Both of our phones are freezing at least once a day.  We now put them both into safe mode and will see what happens over the next few days.  We will be following these posts closely.  We are not happy at this time because the freezing is unnecessary and limits us for immediate phone use in the case of an emergency.

0 Likes
rksilliw17

Well...the phone still froze in safe mode.  It freezes after I haven't used it for awhile.  When I try to unlock it.....I drag the lock symbol to the bottom of the screen....and that's it....if freezes right there.....and won't come out if it until I hold the power button until the phone turns back on.  This is unacceptable because it doesn't let me know if I'm getting texts, email or calls.....I don't know the phone is not responding until I go to use it.  After I do the hard reset....I always have text msgs or voicemail..... So who knows how long the phone has not been working.  I did notice the last couple times it froze, the battery was pretty low.....probably below 20%....help Verizon.... Please.....I left Sprint for this???

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NCRomans,

Thank you for doing that trouble shooting. It's a great way to get to the heart of the problem. Since the phone did the same thing in Safe Mode that rules out apps as a cause.

I know you are hesitant to swap the phone out, but that is the best course of action at this point. If you are still within the 14 day worry free guarantee timeframe there would not be a restocking fee for the phone. It would be classified as a DOA phone and you would get a brand new one at no extra charge.

You are also able to swap your phone for a different make/model device within the 14 days, but that would prompt a restocking fee as it is not a like-for-like exchange. Did you purchase the phone at a store, online, or over the phone? We are more than happy to help you get the exchange process started.

SarahO_VZW

0 Likes