Loss of data connection ongoing problem
H0keyP0key
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the last few months (possibly longer, I've really lost count) I have had a persistent problem with my Razr Maxx (not HD) dropping it's data connection. At first I tried to just live with it but it began to happen more often at the most inconvenient times so I decided to start trying to fix it. What happens is the 3G symbol and bars will turn gray and what every app I'm using usually displays "loss of data connection" or something of the like, symbol disappears and bars drop to nothing, wait 30 seconds to 5 minutes (sometimes longer but most typically shorter), bars and symbol returns and data works again.

I went through the usual troubleshooting steps of a factory reset and starting up in safe mode but the problem wouldn't go away. I went to my local Verizon store and explained my situation and they suggested a refurb sent out to me. The next day I activated the refurb phone and sent back the old and seemed to work OK at first. After a couple of days the problem seemed to come back so I started over again with the factory reset and boot into safe mode ect. Still no luck.

Back into the store I went and asked if I could get a new SIM card put into my phone since the problem hasn't gone away. The rep I spoke to this time was extremely unhelpful and pretty much refused to replace the SIM. Instead, he suggested restarting my phone a few times a day and installing "Advanced Task Killer" app on my phone. I follow android news very regularly and know this is not something you want on your android phone since it can cause more problems that it can fix and explained this to him. He continued to pull out his Droid Razr Maxx HD to show me the app (which there was no point I am familiar with it) and sure enough, the problem I have been having with my phone is happening to his phone at that moment! After telling him it's the identical problem he coolly just tells me that sort of things happens all the time and just live with it. Needless to say I was extremely angry and called *611 to talk to someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Explaining it to the customer service lady on the phone was much more helpful and she agreed to have a SIM sent out to me.

I have not received the new SIM yet but should be expecting it soon but decided to call *611 again and talk to a level 2 tech for more troubleshooting advice. I explained pretty much all the above and we went through and checked out the mobile network settings and so forth. He tells me that the service in my area looks good so it shouldn't be a network issue and the SIM would be a good place to start. He continues to tell me if the new SIM doesn't resolve the issue that I should do a factory reset, skip logging into the Google account when setting up my device, turn off backup and recovery and then login to my Google account. He told me that the only thing common between the devices currently is the SIM, micro SD card (which I did a format before doing the first and second factory reset so we ruled that out) and the account. He said it may be possible something is corrupt and it's being passed from device to device.

This is long winded but wanted everyone to get the whole story. It seems odd that the guy at the store had the same problem as I did and makes me think this is a common thing amongst Motorola phones. It almost looks like a network problem but having had the problem happen and my fiancé's Iphone4s 1' away from my phone not have any sort of issues like this EVER. Any feedback would be helpful! Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Loss of data connection ongoing problem
H0keyP0key
Enthusiast - Level 2

Time to give an update... and by update I mean DOWNLOAD THE JELLY BEAN UPDATE!

Got the update right after work and been using the phone non stop since (so like 4-5 hours) and not had a single problem! On top of the UI being x10 smoother and getting Google Now I am very satisfied. Shame on Verizon though got pushing this update sooner if that's all that needed to be done to fix the problem and pretty much making me call in so many times.

Whatever though I'm happy, go get the update! Link below in how to get it if it hasn't already been pushed out to you.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/07/download-official-droid-razr-jelly-bean-update-98-72-16-for-tho...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, you don't need to use a task killer app.  Sounds like the Level 2 tech gave some good advice; hopefully the new SIM will correct your problem.  There have been a number of posts of people with Motorolas having data connection issues; getting the Ice Cream Sandwich update seemed to help.

0 Likes
H0keyP0key
Enthusiast - Level 2

well time to give an update

replaced the sim and did a factory reset and turned off backup and recovery and currently running completely factory defaults and am continueing to have the problem. evrn took the micro SD out and put in the old one from my fascinate.

from reading other post on the forums with people having similar issues i think i can say the droid razr is just a problematic phone. buyers beware of motorola phones. time ti call cs

0 Likes
kbark
Contributor - Level 2

There is an app in the play store from motorola.  Its called restore connectivity settings.  Try downloading and see if that works.  I have a motorola razr and have the same issue.  Some people say the app has helped so maybe worth a try.

0 Likes
H0keyP0key
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think it's funny that others (including you apperently) have the same problem but verizon customer service seem oblivious. I think more people need to complain and get this issue more well known.

And the app from Motorola is for phone that have installed battery saver or task killer apps. none of which i have used.

Gonna insert some images of screen shots i took with the problem happening see if we can get some more people to chime in.

Screenshot_2013-02-25-18-37-25.pngScreenshot_2013-02-25-18-37-02.pngScreenshot_2013-02-25-18-37-34.pngScreenshot_2013-02-28-20-42-42.png

Here's normal connection for reference

Screenshot_2013-02-25-18-40-25.png

0 Likes
kbark
Contributor - Level 2

I understand the app is for people who have the battery and task killer program but hey it doesn't hurt to try.  If it's part of a software issue then it's probably worth bringing up to motorola also.

0 Likes
Jaxle67
Contributor - Level 2

My razr maxx dropped connection all the time  and the mobile hotspot veryseldom would work either. all thiswas when i was running gingerbread. i upgraded to ics and all problems vanished.  i mean every feature on my phone works perfectly now.  i hear jellybean is in our near future but to be honest  as good as my phone works now  i dont think i will upgrade to jellybean.   

0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

I have had this issue once in awhile and have been unable to discover the cause.  The one time I called tech support for guidance they had me download the same app and move all my apps to the SD card, needless to say I still had the problem.  I too have done a factory data reset and uninstalled some apps that I rarely used.  I do not have this happen frequently but it does happen.

0 Likes
H0keyP0key
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe this problem first started after I updated to ICS. When I first got the phone it worked perfectly on GB and can't think of a single time then that this has happened.

To give a short update too I talked to customer support last Thursday and they created a trouble ticket to have someone check out the coverage in my area and see what the next course of action should be. Just got off the phone with Verizon and seems that the results showed coverage was good. They level 2 tech said the next best thing to do was to send me another replacement phone. So the 3rd phone is being sent out to me and should be here Wednesday. He told me the next course of action, should this phone also not work, is to change my phone number... Which I have no idea how that is supposed to fix anything but maybe worth a shot.

0 Likes
nocigar
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem.  The Motorola reconnect app was useless.  The verizon techs (3) useless  and clueless. Motorola tech useless and clueless.  Google - "Were're so smug we don't have to allow you to contact us". So - there is a problem which is obvious, and neither OS maker, Hardware maker, or Service provider will even acknowledge, let alone fix. WTF?? Someone tell me why I'm paying out the &**&^)($ for this??

PS - if there are any hopes the new upgrade Jelly Bean might fix this - which it might - forgetaboutit.  Motorola has no plans to release Jelly Bean to Razr Maxx owners in a foreseeable future. 

0 Likes